Hone of the day.

Lord Fatboy

Forgo Mud !
Lord Fatboy all my hones are either Chosera Naniwa and Suehiro Gokumyo
Thanks. How do the two brands compare?
I've been looking at getting another bevel-set stone. (my Naniwa Speciality is almost a communion wafer now). I like the look of the Imanishi synthetic stones, the Shapton 1k glass or 1.5k ceramic. I intended to get a bevel setter, the 4k & 8k Naniwa Goukens around this time, but sudden travel expense put paid to that. IAside from the naturals, I think I'll stick with lapping film for high grit finishing, 'cos it takes so few strokes, not sure it's worth a stone for my needs (tho' the 8k Gouken is supposed to be a legit finisher, some say maybe even finer than the 10k Snow white)

Last edited:

JamieM

Extreme sharpness is ephemeral!
Thanks. How do the two brands compare?
I've been looking at getting another bevel-set stone. (The Naniwa Speciality is almost a communion wafer now). I like the look of the Imanishi synthetic stones, the Shapton 1k glass or 1.5k ceramic. I intended to get a bevel setter, the 4k & 8k Naniwa Goukens around this time, but sudden travel expense put paid to that. IAside from the naturals, I think I'll stick with lapping film for high grit finishing, 'cos it takes so few strokes, not sure it's worth a stone for my needs (tho' the 8k Gouken is supposed to be a legit finisher, some say maybe even finer than the 10k Snow white)

Buy the Naniwa 1K it's the universal go to bevel setter, and I understand your concerns over the thickness but there are sellers out there that still carry the 20mm version, and speaking from a personal stand point the original Snow White is one hell of a stone such a fine polisher personally I think it's nearer 10K I'm also not a fan of those 10mm Naniwa's myself let me know if you want a link to the thicker versions.

Billyfergie

Forum GOD!

Just Finished these 2 SRs for a Forum Member...Elsine Solingen 7/8th & John Ledger Sheffield Near Wedge 6/8th..The Top Pic is How I Got the Near Wedge..I Had to Re Jig the Whole Edge from Heel to Toe & Farfe about with Loads of Tape..A Wee Challenge to Set the Bevel..It Took a Killer Edge..Wicked Man..Eventually...:laugh:

The Elsine Solingen 7/8th was a Doddle..Honed On a Naniwa Super Stone Progression..1 K, 3 K, 5 K, 8 K, 12 K..1 Micron Film & 0.5 Micron Film as My Finishing Hone..10 Laps on 0.2 Red Rhodium & 100 Lashes on Leather..:cool:

The 1 Micron Film on Glass Refines the Edge form the 12 K Stone to another Level for Me..The 0.5 Film albeit a Different Media is the Equivalent to a 20 K Stone..The Chro/Ox Film on Glass is Flatter than Flat & Level..Amazing Finisher & Compliment's the Naniwa Superstores in My Books..I Wouldn't Mind a 20 K Gokumyo Stone but the Film is as Cheap as Chips and a Fantastic High Grit Smooth Finisher..Maybe Some Day..:wacky:

Billy

Last edited:

Phrank

Forum GOD!
Yesterday for this Eiko was a Scotch Dual Hone....Tom O'Shanter and Water of Ayr.

First time I've used just four stones, Nani 1k, 3k for bevel, next was the TOS and finished with the WOA on the Scotch Hone...unbelieveable edge the WOA stone put on the razor. As nice as the Escher, but instead of sharp and mellow, was very crisp, going to be fun getting to know this stone.

Dual_Eiko.jpg

BlacknTan

Forum GOD!
The Heavy Grind Dorko is coming up for use, so I thought it was a good time for a refresh. I have favorite stones, but I like to use them all at one time or another. Some blades respond marginally better to one stone or another. The Dorko was taken to my Y/G Thuringian bout.. every bit the equal of my finest Escher..

Ready for use.

Last edited:

Dr Watson

James
Just Finished these 2 SRs for a Forum Member...Elsine Solingen 7/8th & John Ledger Sheffield Near Wedge 6/8th..The Top Pic is How I Got the Near Wedge..I Had to Re Jig the Whole Edge from Heel to Toe & Farfe about with Loads of Tape..A Wee Challenge to Set the Bevel..It Took a Killer Edge..Wicked Man..Eventually...:laugh:

The Elsine Solingen 7/8th was a Doddle..Honed On a Naniwa Super Stone Progression..1 K, 3 K, 5 K, 8 K, 12 K..1 Micron Film & 0.5 Micron Film as My Finishing Hone..10 Laps on 0.2 Red Rhodium & 100 Lashes on Leather..:cool:

The 1 Micron Film on Glass Refines the Edge form the 12 K Stone to another Level for Me..The 0.5 Film albeit a Different Media is the Equivalent to a 20 K Stone..The Chro/Ox Film on Glass is Flatter than Flat & Level..Amazing Finisher & Compliment's the Naniwa Superstores in My Books..I Wouldn't Mind a 20 K Gokumyo Stone but the Film is as Cheap as Chips and a Fantastic High Grit Smooth Finisher..Maybe Some Day..:wacky:

Billy
Got these back today, I must say Billy you've worked a miracle with the wedge :notworthy: