Hone of the day.

MichaelS

Forum GOD!
Been getting into Japanese naturals in the last year - totally addictive! This hard Wakasa from Aframestokyo works a treat with either a full nagura progression or just its own tomo, as here.

I gave the pre-owned Hart 7/8 a complete re-hone with Chosera 1,2,5 and 10k prior to the Wakasa. Now a fine shaver. BTW trying to regulate the razor's pivot bolt almost drove me nuts (too tight or too loose)!

Last edited:

BlacknTan

Forum GOD!
Well, the Max Sprecher razor I used yesterday provided a rather crispy shave, not to my liking. I believe this blade was finished on a high grit synthetic, so that makes sense.
Nothing against the high grit synthetic stones, I own a Gokumyo 20K myself, but, for me, the edge is just too harsh, and that is the issue here. I'm a heathen, a Caveman, and I much prefer natural stones, but as I said, that's just me.
So, I'm not allowed the good towels anymore, so I grabbed an old one ... I should have thought of that myself, but as I said, Caveman! Anyway, I took the offending razor to my SRD Thuringian. I know the Escher Co. sold Barber's Gem stones in this size to S.R. Droescher in NY. Is this one? I can't be sure, but it is correct and a very fine stone, so who knows??
One layer of tape. I had to return to the stone once after I thought I was finished, but it's popping hairs now. I expect a great shave, but the proof is in the shave itself .. where the steel meets skin..

Ready for the next SOTD..

MichaelS

Forum GOD!
Lovely razor with a 'less is more' style which is right up my street. I'd already own a Max Sprecher if it wasn't for European import duties..... I've seen the words 'celebrated water hones' associated with Thuringians - but I'm travelling for several weeks and can't check at home (think I have one). More when I can!

BlacknTan

Forum GOD!
Lovely razor with a 'less is more' style which is right up my street. I'd already own a Max Sprecher if it wasn't for European import duties..... I've seen the words 'celebrated water hones' associated with Thuringians - but I'm travelling for several weeks and can't check at home (think I have one). More when I can!

Thanks very much!

I'm with you ... I'm in the "less is more" camp also..

BTW, love your Hart!

Lord Fatboy

Forgo Mud !
Thanks very much!

I'm with you ... I'm in the "less is more" camp also..

BTW, love your Hart!
I've heard people say that Droescher, as a distributor, took the best of the best of Eschers - which would put them at the end of a pretty impressive qualty control chain. But people say all kinds of things, and I've seen Droesher barber hones, just a 20 buxs worth synthetic barber hone, go for 100s of dollars because of the Escher association, so there's a vested interest there.

JamieM

Extreme sharpness is ephemeral!
Lovely razors and set up. Is the white strop (after the green Crox) plain linen or cotton? Do you use the Kanayama cotton?
Michael it's Cromium Oxide on linen although I doubt if there's anything left on the strop as it as been wiped away over the years, still it's extremely smooth with a certain amount of shine to it so it acts differently to plain linen.

JamieM

Extreme sharpness is ephemeral!
Nice to see the master in action, thought we were going to be treated to a honing video!
Olly I did make one a few years back and somehow I deleted the video by accident and lost my youtube account so I couldn't retrieve it, the video showed me honing a Filarmonica from bevel set right through the progression then stropped with finishing off with the HHT, maybe I'll do another sometime in the future trouble is I'm useless at editing video I have no idea and I can't show all the proccess you will get bored and fall asleep.

Last edited:

Looney12345

Forum GOD!
Olly I did make one a few years back and somehow I deleted the video by accident and lost my youtube account so I couldn't retrieve it, I showed me honing a Filarmonica from bevel set right through the progression then stropped with finishing off with the HHT, maybe I'll do another sometime in the future trouble is I'm useless at editing video I have no idea and I can't show all the proccess you will get bored and fall asleep.
Ha, I don't think I'd get bored at all watching that video! Even a 30/60 Mon video wouldn't be boring if you showed the whole process, how much of that can you even edit out?