1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Hair Tonic

Discussion in 'Grooming and Style' started by pjgh, Jul 22, 2016.

1. pjgh

pjgh Forum GOD!

Any regular hair tonic users?

I use Pinaud regularly. I have Clubman (Greaseless), Quinine & Portugal. I also have Pashana's Original and American Bay Rum. Much as I love Pashana aftershave, the hair tonic is a touch too far for me in terms of scent. I do like it now and again, but not all the time. Bay Rum is okay.

... but Clubman. Yeah! Their hair tonic is good.

I find Meisner Tremonia's aftershaves to be a touch too tacky for my liking, but they work well as hair tonics. I see they also do a dedicated hair tonic. Anyone tried them?

Ben Hunt likes this.
  2. Gordy

Gordy Legendary Member

I've been using the Pashana but likewise on the scent. I was going to go for Clubman but I got the after shave this week and the missus has poo-pooed it, "Smells too much like Mister Matey bubble bath"! So the search continues. Was going to try one of the bay rums next.
    Surprised you're not dunking your head in The Veg!

Redd likes this.
  3. Nick_S

Nick_S Atypical Audi Driver

Not the veg! It's an acquired 'taste'.

Billyfergie likes this.
  4. Lord Fatboy

Lord Fatboy Not a Guru

Yardley Lavender, Vaseline, working on a home made Veg brilliantine.

Billyfergie likes this.
  5. pjgh

pjgh Forum GOD!

The veg is duly lavished ... and lavished regularly, but it's no hair tonic alas.

Hey! Don't be put off all Clubman hair tonics - Quinine is a world away from Original and Portugal is just a nice floral, herbal lemon. Both excellent and both with backup bottles in my repertoire. I doubt I'll buy in the Clubman Original scent again for hair tonic, but I do love the aftershave.

Lord Fatboy likes this.
  6. Gordy

Gordy Legendary Member

It is a great after shave Paul, makes my skin feel,so much better.

7. johnus

johnus Well-Known Member

Water.

Gairdner and Lord Fatboy like this.
  8. Mrchick

Mrchick Handsome Avatar

I use the Portugal.

Billyfergie likes this.
  9. Billyfergie

Billyfergie Forum GOD!

[​IMG]
    I Use Bald Tonic.:dance:

Billy.

Lord Fatboy and Robyflexx like this.
  10. Lord Fatboy

Lord Fatboy Not a Guru

11. Billyfergie

Billyfergie Forum GOD!

12. Purbeck

Purbeck Veteran

Pashana quinine before work. Scent is too strong for evening

13. Chico Winterton

Chico Winterton Partisan

I am bemused. What is the purpose of "Hair Tonic".

14. pjgh

pjgh Forum GOD!

Cleans your hair ...

It comes from an age when men didn't ... well, wash often. Weekly bath. Hair washing with shampoo was probably something that dandies did, but most fellows didn't. In fact, many fellows (certainly up my way) would not wear a wedding ring because chaps did not wear jewellry and certainly did not wear EDT - aftershave (at best) was a thing for young fellows.

It's from an age when men lavished greasy pomades on their heads, before hipsters with their beards were reviving it as a "grooming" thing. It's from an age when a chap would pop to the Barber's, thumb through some well thumbed mens' magazines, have a hair cut and the Barber would pat a drop of hair tonic on.

I'm a traditional fellow. I do wash regularly, but rarely shampoo. I use a dot of Brylcreem on towel dried hair in the morning and then a damn good splash of hair tonic after my evening wash and shave. It keeps the hair clean.

flobberdob and Dipesh like this.
  15. pjgh

pjgh Forum GOD!

Do you go for the greasy tonics? I have an oily GFT Eucris tonic. I prefer tonics after my evening wash and shave, just to run through and clean my hair. Greasy tonics are not something I've looked into much ...

Lord Fatboy likes this.