Hair clippers + scissors recommendations?

smooth_criminal

Forum GOD!
With my barber increasing the cost of my cut, and limited availbility of appointments - I'm going to get my partner to start cutting my hair again.

To be fair - she does a really good job, but for convenience I used to go to the barbers.

I'm planning on upgrading the hardware, so I'm looking for recommendations on hair clippers and scissors.

Can anyone recommend any good brands, or places to buy from? Or any brands to avoid?

Having previously spent £300+ per year at the barbers, I don't mind investing a good amount for some quality gear that will last and perform well.

Any tips?

Thanks

Francorelli

Forum fella
I highly recommend Wahl Super Taper clippers (approx £50 from Amazon). Mine have performed superbly for several years.

Make sure to keep them oiled and every so often dismantle and clean the blades to remove accumulated hair. It's worth investing in the metal-backed comb attachments from Wahl rather than the plastic combs - they are generally more secure and less likely to deform over time.

Grarea

Forum Plod
I would also second the Wahl.
I have also had mine for a few years.
Make sure that you can replace the blades (You can with mine)
I also agree with the metal backed combs, I wish I had got those many more years before I did.
The plastic ones wobble about and when they get tired, they can jump off (Mine did)

smooth_criminal

Forum GOD!
Thanks for all the advice and recommendations.

I think I will go with the Wahl super taper clippers, just deciding if the cordless version is worth the extra money.

I think I'll wrap them up and put them under the Christmas tree as a joke gift to wind up the better half :D

jdixon

Legendary Member
hi, I use the jaguar cj4 scissors at the mo, they are 5" ones and I love them, can't work with anything bigger. They have a comfy bend in the thumb hole so it's a bit comfier to use, my q is what is the benefit of offset? and I really need new ones but am lost as to what I want, apart from them to be wee 5", and comfy. I tried the girls who work with my scissors and hers are just straight handles and it's a pain in the bahookie to use them. any suggestions? I looked at Jewell and jaguar and saw a few but just don't know what's what. the ones I am using I thought about just getting the same again but the pictures look like they have been changed since I got mine. thanks in advance x

Zhang Doe

Forum GOD!
Unless one has particularly thick, kinky hair, I think just about any set of clippers, high-end or low-end, from any well known manufacturer will work.

I have used low-end Wahl, low-end BabyBliss and now very expensive Andis. They all work the same. I do think the expensive ones will last longer, but there will still be some degree of servicing and repair necessary. For example, the wires inside the cable of my Andis somehow became loose, so have to pay (fortunately not too much) to get it fixed at an authorised service center.

The two things I would pay attention to when buying new clippers: vibration and housing. They usually go hand-in-hand. Less vibration will lead to a smoother cut and less strain on the wrists, and there is usually less heat generated. With cheap housing material (and high vibration),the clippers can end up being a bit hot to touch.

I prefer a robust, texture plastic housing to the cheap plastic housing that is made to look like shiny chrome.

I am generally happy with my Andis clippers, but if I had to do it again, I would have gone with mid-range Wahl clippers and saved half the money. I prefer a robust, texture plastic housing to the cheap plastic housing that is made to look like shiny chrome.

One other tip is that pet clippers are sometimes the same thing, just branded differently. I got Andis AGC-2 clippers, which are the exact same as another model promoted for human(?) use, only slightly cheaper. Takes the same blades and guards.

jdixon

Legendary Member
Unless one has particularly thick, kinky hair, I think just about any set of clippers, high-end or low-end, from any well-known manufacturer will work.

I have used low-end Wahl, low-end BabyBliss and now very expensive Andis. They all work the same. I do think the expensive ones will last longer, but there will still be some degree of servicing and repair necessary. For example, the wires inside the cable of my Andis somehow became loose, so have to pay (fortunately not too much) to get it fixed at an authorized service center.

The two things I would pay attention to when buying new clippers: vibration and housing. They usually go hand-in-hand. Less vibration will lead to a smoother cut and less strain on the wrists, and there is usually less heat generated. With cheap housing material (and high vibration), the clippers can end up being a bit hot to touch.

I prefer a robust, texture plastic housing to the cheap plastic housing that is made to look like shiny chrome.

I am generally happy with my Andis clippers, but if I had to do it again, I would have gone with mid-range Wahl clippers and saved half the money. I prefer a robust, texture plastic housing to the cheap plastic housing that is made to look like shiny chrome.

One other tip is those pet clippers are sometimes the same thing, just branded differently. I got Andis AGC-2 clippers, which are the exact same as another model promoted for human(?) use, only slightly cheaper. Takes the same blades and guards. Best barber shears
I really don't know what to say.

Last edited:

Dr Watson

James
Been cutting my own hair once a week since the first lockdown last year. Initially used some Wahls which were around £40, lots of vibration, ran very hot, cheap quality guards... Ended up dying after a few months. Next I picked up some dog clippers from Lidl for £15 due to the shortage at the time scalpers wanted double RRP for most clippers, the Lidl's were much better quality than the Wahl and I used them without issue until recently when I thought I'd invest in some wireless ones.

These seemed like a good deal: BaBylissMEN Japanese Steel Digital Hair Clipper : Amazon.co.uk: Health & Personal Care

Turns out they were indeed. Really nice build quality, quiet, low vibration, run cool and the twist taper mechanism is handy.

Zhang Doe

Forum GOD!
These seemed like a good deal: BaBylissMEN Japanese Steel Digital Hair Clipper : Amazon.co.uk: Health & Personal Care

Turns out they were indeed. Really nice build quality, quiet, low vibration, run cool and the twist taper mechanism is handy.
Nice find. Those high points are all exactly what anyone should want, and at an excellent price price. Probably too early to say, but would be good to know later how the battery life holds up. I have always wanted cordless clippers but have been paranoid about them losing their charge over time.

D

Deleted member 2936

Check out kemei and surker Chinese knock offs of Wahl and Andis, very good and hard to beat for the money tbh

Check out YouTube a lot of well known experienced barbers are having about these clippers due to value for money

I got the kemei 1990 after reading and looking at many reviews by barbers on YouTube etc

These clippers are cordless and have two power modes as well as led display showing how much battery you got left which imo is really handy to have and you can use them whilst charging too

Here's a link to them but I got them from ebay but can't find the link to one on there but it's amazon for more then what I paid but at least you'll have quicker delivery if you got prime that is

Then you can grab yourself a set of universal coloured clipper guard attachments like these below

Then to finish it off get some detailers for lining up around the next, ears and sideburns etc

I grabbed these for something like a tenner off the top of my head, if you lookat the head of the trimmer you can see why they're really good trimmers which are designed for detailing

Ones I got don't have the led display showing battery power but if you pay a little more you can get them which imo is defo worth

I've had mine for a few years so when I got them they didnt have any of those type of detailers with led display screens

I use this setup to cut my son's hair,
anyways hope this helps mate 🙂