1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Glycerine Facial Soap

Discussion in 'Grooming and Style' started by Sabre, Jul 17, 2017.

1. Sabre

Sabre Über Member

I grew up using Pears Transparent Soap, sadly this was reformulated. However, I had bought the hype and started to use SLS facial washes as a young adult. In the early part of this millennium, I started using Luxury soaps with shea butter and almond oil. I still use them to this day.

Some time ago I read an article on the Sharpologist recommending Glycerine soap as a part of the shave routine. I purchased a Glycerine soap from Waitrose, probably made by Droyts.
    This gives an excellent face feel afterwards when used alone and not a part of shaving. I have also used it today as a part of my shaving routine.

I am definitely going to add glycerine soap to my facial regimen and an order from Droyts is on the agenda.

2. Sabre

Sabre Über Member

I just recalled that Hema in The Netherlands do a glycerin soap, it is perfumed and has honey as an ingredient unlike the unscented Waitrose soap. I do miss the Pears scent of Rosemary and other essential oils.

3. Nishy

Nishy Forum GOD! Staff Member

I tried the Musgo Real glycerine pre shave soap some time back but didn't get on with the scent. Some shaving soaps are glycerin based (melt and pour) and work extremely well for me.

Godfather and Sabre like this.
  4. Godfather

Godfather Forum GOD!

Musgo Real does work for me as a face wash soap before I start the shaving process. Can't say it adds that much to the shave as I have also used whatever soap is lying around from Wickhams to my sons Star Wars soap to achieve the same effect!!

Fox and Sabre like this.
  5. Fox

Fox The Soap Artisan

Yes that is a real funky smell, I too couldn't get on with it so I decided to make one myself. There will be a new 1912 Glycerine face soap included in the next 1912 LE Group buy, Shamrock Tweed. I hope to make an announcement with order details about it soon.

@Star Wars! That made me laugh. Do you shave with a lightsabre? :wink:

Bizzyberry, DamianJ and Nishy like this.
  6. MPF9

MPF9 Forum GOD!

In my early days I tried Musgo Real and similar Continental offerings. For sometime now have been using the inexpensive\
    Neutrogena glycerine soap for a pre shave wash.

7. slapo

slapo Senior Member

These days, I use a Marius Fabre olive oil soap (which, to my disappointment, isn't a pure olive oil soap, but doesn't have nasties my skin dislikes, so not a biggie):
    https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/aw/d/B0012GHQBM/

I found it so slick that when I need to be out really quickly, I first use it to wash my face, then I rub whiskers with the cube, then even it out with my hand an I can shave. One of the good thing about that is that I can see unshaven spots pretty easily. Plus, it makes mild razors more efficient (less soap fluff in the way of the blade). :)