Getting back into guitar after long break.

Nick_S

Forum GOD!
For that budget, you could do well to consider the Yamaha RGX guitars in the second hand market, Squier make a few fine models too that are humbucker equipped that would fit your musical needs quite well. I would try to get to a few shops to try out a selection, as the variety of neck shapes and widths is mind boggling, and can be make or break in the comfort of a guitar.

Nick_S

Forum GOD!
Thanks @Nick_S I've read that the Yamaha Pacifica is a good guitar, I'll check out the RGX.
The Pacifica are stunning guitars for the money, I mentioned RGX over Pacifica because they have an HSH pickup configuration over HSS of the Pacifica, which would be (IMHO) better suited to the music you've suggested :)

chrisbd

Forum GOD!
Lots of sound advice above but the key is "try before you buy". Instrument feel is uniquely personal and what feels and sounds right for me probably wouldn't suit you. As a Gibson fan the Epiphone Les Paul suited me, although I've tweaked it over the years.

Also have a look at the Vintage range, surprisingly good value for money.

Nick_S

Forum GOD!
Lots of sound advice above but the key is "try before you buy". Instrument feel is uniquely personal and what feels and sounds right for me probably wouldn't suit you. As a Gibson fan the Epiphone Les Paul suited me, although I've tweaked it over the years.

Also have a look at the Vintage range, surprisingly good value for money.
I second the Vintage range as another very viable option, some incredible instruments in their catalogue (and Fret King) for very little money. Whilst the name doesn't carry the prestige of say Fender, Gibson or PRS, their instruments can walk the walk so to speak.

What mods have you done to your Epi LP @chrisbd ?

chrisbd

Forum GOD!
I second the Vintage range as another very viable option, some incredible instruments in their catalogue (and Fret King) for very little money. Whilst the name doesn't carry the prestige of say Fender, Gibson or PRS, their instruments can walk the walk so to speak.

What mods have you done to your Epi LP @chrisbd ?
Nick,
The Epiphone LP is about 25 years old now (1992 model received as a present in 1993 - spoilt brat), didn't think I'd done much to it but now I come to tot up, mods as follows:

1. Stop bar, posts and original screw adjustable bridge replaced with chromed Gotoh items, including Gibson style thumb wheel adjustable bridge
2. Chrome covered Giovanni PAF Humbucker pickups (with "aged" Alnico magnets)
3. All cavities lined with copper foil
4. Gibson pickup switch
5. New volume and tone mini pots (control cavity too small for full sized Switchmaster pots, didn't fancy routing it out), voltage matched (as closely as possible)
6. 22uF ceramic disk capacitors across pots (Sprague clones)

Full credit goes to my brother for wielding the soldering iron. Epiphone has improved the hardware across the board in the meantime.

Yamaha Pacifica have always been well reviewed. I've always been a Les Paul fan but what's your instrument of choice?

Regards,
Chris

Nick_S

Forum GOD!
Nick,
The Epiphone LP is about 25 years old now (1992 model received as a present in 1993 - spoilt brat), didn't think I'd done much to it but now I come to tot up, mods as follows:

1. Stop bar, posts and original screw adjustable bridge replaced with chromed Gotoh items, including Gibson style thumb wheel adjustable bridge
2. Chrome covered Giovanni PAF Humbucker pickups (with "aged" Alnico magnets)
3. All cavities lined with copper foil
4. Gibson pickup switch
5. New volume and tone mini pots (control cavity too small for full sized Switchmaster pots, didn't fancy routing it out), voltage matched (as closely as possible)
6. 22uF ceramic disk capacitors across pots (Sprague clones)

Full credit goes to my brother for wielding the soldering iron. Epiphone has improved the hardware across the board in the meantime.

Yamaha Pacifica have always been well reviewed. I've always been a Les Paul fan but what's your instrument of choice?

Regards,
Chris
Sensible mods :)

I am a Strat man at heart. Several have passed through my hands, but I currently run two (Sambora signature and a 60th Anniversary Classic Player) along with a Graham Coxon Telecaster and a Gibson Les Paul Studio:

upload_2017-4-16_20-50-37.png

I run them all through a Blackstar Series 1 45w 2x12 combo through a small selection of pedals (Dunlop Crybaby, JuanSolo '71 Triangle' fuzz, TC Flashback delay, TC Hall of Fame reverb, Marshall compressor, Marshall chorus). Between that lot, I can cover MOST bases :)

Quique

Forum GOD!

I am a Strat man at heart. Several have passed through my hands, but I currently run two (Sambora signature and a 60th Anniversary Classic Player) along with a Graham Coxon Telecaster and a Gibson Les Paul Studio:

View attachment 10767

I run them all through a Blackstar Series 1 45w 2x12 combo through a small selection of pedals (Dunlop Crybaby, JuanSolo '71 Triangle' fuzz, TC Flashback delay, TC Hall of Fame reverb, Marshall compressor, Marshall chorus). Between that lot, I can cover MOST bases :)
Wow, nice guitars here @Nick_S

I have a Cort M600, it's a very versatile guitar and I'm very happy with it, but some day I will have a Fender Strato :happy:

20170416_235858.jpg

chrisbd

Forum GOD!

View attachment 10767

Nick,
Very nice guitars. Although not a Fender fan I do like the Teles. I started experimenting with pedals (Marshall Guv'nor Mk1, Boss CS1 Compressor Sustainer) but that became too much faffing about for bedroom chugging and the Sessionette gives me some good tones. For bedroom or practice at one another's houses the Blackstar HT1 1w practice amp has good tones at sensible volumes.

Aside from my very first electric guitar, a (poor) K Gibson SG copy, which I modified with a Schaller stop/tailpiece, I only have the Epi LP and a Gibson R8 Les Paul (1958 Historic Reissue - extremely spoilt brat). I love that "half baseball bat" neck.

@Quique: Nice looking Cort M600, I'm not sure I've seen one before.

I'm having a lay off at the moment (various family matters, just not feeling it lately) but I'll get back to it one day.

Regards,
Chris

Quique

Forum GOD!
Nick,
Very nice guitars. Although not a Fender fan I do like the Teles. I started experimenting with pedals (Marshall Guv'nor Mk1, Boss CS1 Compressor Sustainer) but that became too much faffing about for bedroom chugging and the Sessionette gives me some good tones. For bedroom or practice at one another's houses the Blackstar HT1 1w practice amp has good tones at sensible volumes.

Aside from my very first electric guitar, a (poor) K Gibson SG copy, which I modified with a Schaller stop/tailpiece, I only have the Epi LP and a Gibson R8 Les Paul (1958 Historic Reissue - extremely spoilt brat). I love that "half baseball bat" neck.

I'm having a lay off at the moment (various family matters, just not feeling it lately) but I'll get back to it one day.

Regards,
Chris
I hope everything is resolved soon, Chris

Nick_S

Forum GOD!
Nick,

Regards,
Chris
Ah, the 50's profile neck. I had another Les Paul (2004 Standard) with the 50's profile neck, but wedding budget needed topping up, so she got sold :( I miss her every day, that and the TSL/1960A half stack (beast of an amplifier):

upload_2017-4-17_15-41-45.png

I'd love an R9 myself, but the funds don't currently allow :D When they do, it will be a hard fight between that and a PRS SC58.

chrisbd

Forum GOD!
Ah, the 50's profile neck. I had another Les Paul (2004 Standard) with the 50's profile neck, but wedding budget needed topping up, so she got sold :( I miss her every day, that and the TSL/1960A half stack (beast of an amplifier):

View attachment 10791

I'd love an R9 myself, but the funds don't currently allow :D When they do, it will be a hard fight between that and a PRS SC58.
A beautiful guitar and a monster half stack! I always lusted after an R9 but when I tried one, although a gorgeous guitar, I actually preferred the R8 neck profile and it was (marginally) cheaper. Keep saving those pennies (more problematic with an ADs habit)!