1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Funerals are stressful business

Discussion in 'ATG Cafe' started by Nick_S, Jan 6, 2017.

1. Nick_S

Nick_S Atypical Audi Driver

Not to mention expensive! Who knew it could be so damned expensive to die? It's making me start planning for my own demise.

Long story short, we lost my mother in law on Boxing Day, so we didn't really have a Christmas to speak of (she went in Christmas Eve). My wife is struggling with the whole lot (as I'd expect, it's her mum at the end of the day, and she was a diamond), and I'm helping where I can.

Some days it gets to me, some days it doesn't, and by get to me I mean the loss. I've been back to work this week, but have been 'functioning' rather than working to my full capacity.

Blargh.

2. missingskin

missingskin Well-Known Member

My brother in law died about 8 months a go and I was surprised how the costs mounted up !! Also it was hard to figure out what to do to help. You have my sympathies Nick .

3. wazza

wazza a dog got personality

Sorry to hear about your loss, my thoughts go out to you, wife and the family. Its a stressful time period indeed.
    My grandfather was in a home for a years or so before he passed, I can't beleive how much it costs for care.

4. Nishy

Nishy Veteran Staff Member

Sorry to hear this too Nick, my sympathies go out to you and all your family.

5. Rowlers

Rowlers Massive Member Staff Member

Deepest sympathy's @Nick_S , must be tough...
    Best wishes to you all...

6. Nico1970

Nico1970 Über Member Staff Member

Sorry to hear of your loss @Nick_S.

7. halvor

halvor Royal Member

Sorry to hear. My deepest sympathies to all of you, Nick.

8. R181

R181 Über Member

My deepest sympathy to you and your family. Been through that enough times now that I really understand where you are coming from. About the only thing you can do is put one foot in front of the other until everything is done and settled as hard as that is to do. As a famous man was known for saying KBO.

Bob

UKRob likes this.
  9. Ash

Ash Über Member

My sympathies, I know how you feel as I lost mum in 2015. I was lucky in one respect as both my parents had pre paid funeral plans. I just made one call to funeral directors and everything was taken care of. This was a great help at the time.

10. Godfather

Godfather Veteran

Nick, my deepest sympathies on the loss for you and the family. I do remember being shocked at the cost of my mum's funeral.

11. RSSO

RSSO Member #11

Sorry for your loss Nick , my deepest sympathy to you and your wife.

From all losses I had father , all grandparents , relatives... one that strikes me most was my best friend at age of 32 one of reasons he didn't hade time to leave something behind , your mother in law will continue to live through people that will remember her.

Regarding cost it appears it's same everywhere , as I live beside sea told to wife she can damp me there when time comes, not a bad option at all .

12. Nick_S

Nick_S Atypical Audi Driver

Thanks guys.

It's indeed a hazy time, and probably will be until such a time that the funeral passes and some form of normality ensues.