Fine Snake Bite Soap Thoughts?

ben139

Forum GOD!
Hi All,
I'm on the lookout for a decent menthol soap and came across the Fine Snake Bite soap (I notice they also make a matching AS) and was wondering what the general consensus is on the product, and fine products in general.

Also how does it compare as a soap to other menthol offerings? ie would I just be better ordering a proraso green for 1/3 of the price?

Cheers all :)

Gordy

Legendary Member
I'm not experienced with all the menthol soaps on the market but I can tell you that if you want a menthol kick, forget Proraso, it doesn't have much menthol. The Fine soaps ate a little on the expensive side for what you get but they are good soaps, much better than Proraso, and with less ingredients! Supposedly built on the Tabac base, I'd well believe it as they are very good.

Mr_Smartepants

Genius Member
All the Fine aftershaves are amazing. I have the Snake Bite aftershave and it's a guaranteed frozen-face result, but no scent.
I had most of the Fine soaps, sold some because I didn't like the scents. Performance is pretty good (95% like Tabac). I think Tabac may be better performance actually.

Last edited:

pjgh

Forum GOD!
Crap! The soap is piss poor and other than it has a LOT of menthol in it, it's otherwise absolutely uninteresting.

Can too much be too much? Well, yes. There comes a point where too much is too much and doing too much just because you can will always draw the crowds ... think: million scoville chilli sauce.

If you want a lot of menthol, it's there ...

If you want a decent shaving soap, it's not there.

Aftershave? Yes, it's chock full of menthol, but so is a bottle of Boots Witch Hazel with a load of menthol crystals stuffed in ... I don't quite get the point. Aftershaves, done right, do a whole load more than just sooth, cleanse and feed a little. It's no surprise that Brut and Old Spice are still with us as they really are excellent aftershaves. Tabac, too. Scents aside, those forumlas really do work - Old Spice, even without scent, I think I'd still say is the best aftershave out there.

Fine is not ... not even Fine.

There! Buh! It's not the messiah, it just a very mentholated product ...

If you're into that, get some crystals off eBay and boost your favourites.

Mr_Smartepants

Genius Member
There! Buh! It's not the messiah, it just a very mentholated product ...

If you're into that, get some crystals off eBay and boost your favourites.
I'd have to agree. As an aftershave, it leaves a lot to be desired. It's nearly pure alcohol with menthol, zero scent. Feels great on a super-hot summer day but you're left with nothing to go on.
I've got some menthol crystals on order and I plan on decanting some of my favorites into travel bottles with some menthol to 'boost' them.
Too much menthol in any soap will kill the performance.

pjgh

Forum GOD!
Yeah! You'll have a lot of fun!

A good few years ago, I was a proper Menth head and if it didn't freeze, it wasn't any good. I played with menthol crystals and had huge fun! Leave the formulation to the big boys and drop your favourite fix into their formula.

When I discovered I could mentholate Pinaud VIBR I had an epiphany!

Yeah, have fun :D

ben139

Forum GOD!
Thanks everybody for your answers! I've just ebayed myself some menthol crystals to have a go with, and added the osp to the christmas list (since we are now apparently 97 days away, and I always try to be prepared!!) Got some tabac sat around, which I really must try using properly - so many products, not enough hair!

Nishy

Forum GOD!
Staff member
Should also be able to grab some menthol crystals from your local pharmacy, for some extra fun try dissolving some menthol crystals in some olbas oil and having a little face steam, then add some vicks pre shave and alcolado glacial post shave. Watch your language as you step outside the front door.

Redd

A Right Member
Should also be able to grab some menthol crystals from your local pharmacy, for some extra fun try dissolving some menthol crystals in some olbas oil and having a little face steam, then add some vicks pre shave and alcolado glacial post shave. Watch your language as you step outside the front door.
When it comes to methol-madness: if you ain't cryin' - you ain't trying!:cry:

PLANofMAN

Retro Razor Junkie
The only thing the Fine Snake Bite AS has going for it is the label, which is excellently done and makes me smile when I read it.

As others have said, the actual contents are just alcohol, water, and menthol.

Gordy

Legendary Member
The only thing the Fine Snake Bite AS has going for it is the label, which is excellently done and makes me smile when I read it.

As others have said, the actual contents are just alcohol, water, and menthol.
The Fine L'Orange has excellent skincare properties, as does the rest of the range I believe, so I'm wondering if maybe the Snakebite will too, even though menthol isn't that great for the skin.

PLANofMAN

Retro Razor Junkie
The Fine L'Orange has excellent skincare properties, as does the rest of the range I believe, so I'm wondering if maybe the Snakebite will too, even though menthol isn't that great for the skin.
Snake Bite: Alcohol, water, and menthol. I don't see anything in there that has "excellent skincare properties."