Face lathering technique tips, please...

S

Steve Bowles

I've been bowl-lathering since I started this journey eighteen months ago. I am now starting to see the benefits of face-lathering, but I would like to pick your brains and see what techniques you have adopted, and what tips you might have.

I'm sure Obe Wan Kinishy has a video or two, or should have a video or two, on the subject.

I will gladly listen to all advice, even if it comes from Yorkshire. :happy:

Use 3 or more brushes to face lather by juggling them quickly while riding a unicycle..if you can complete this task successfully..then you are ready my son:clown:

Seriously though there's nowt (Yorkshire technical terminology) to it..plenty of soap or cream..apply it to your face, lather it with your brush..if too dry add a bit of water.

halvor

a most elusive fish
I load like crazy (with most soaps, some are 'less is more'), usually add some water even when loading, so lather is starting to build already there - some more than others. Then proceed to the face, try and distribute some of the soap all over, and start adding water a little at a time. Since I'm right handed, I tend to do most of the lathering work on my right cheek, but keep working all to-be-shaved parts of my face and neck, varying between painting and circular strokes. I don't put m ch thought into it, really.

Nishy

Forum GOD!
Staff member
All very simple.
Wet the face.
Soak brush for 5 mins
Load brush till upper band is mostly saturated.
Add a teaspoon of water to brush tips.
Painting motion to provide a thin layer of soap across the face.
Light circular motions, using the tips of the brush.
Once you have the lather at the desired consistency, painting motion on the face to create a uniform and even lather.

Personal preferences come into play later on; amount of water added, dry/wet brush, load time, etc etc.

Conservator

Forum GOD!
Here is what I do. First, I wash my face. While doing that I soak my badger or boar brush in water. Synthetic does not need to be soaked. I take the brush, give it a shake or two to remove excess water. I then load the brush the same amount I would if I bowl lathered. I put the brush aside and wet my face. If there is any foam on the soap puck I rub my fingers over the soap and put that on my face. (Sort of like a shave stick). That extra step assures I have a great lather. I then take the brush and rub it all over my face and neck. I usually spend about a minute working the lather over my face. I use gentle circular as well as painting motions. My brush is wet enough so I rarely have to add extra water - but if I do need extra water I just dip the brush tips in the water or take my fingers and add a drop of water to the brush.

Some folks use a dryer brush and add water as needed. Some use a very wet brush, load like crazy, and never need to add water. I take the middle approach and take a moderately wet brush.

slapo

It's... alive!
If it's a cream in a tube, I just wet a brush, shake water off, pop the cream on the brush (think toothpaste on a toothbrush... then again I load toothpaste on the other side...), smoosh it off that brush onto the face (at least part of it) and lather up.
With a harder soap - I either rub it on the face, bring damp brush to face and lather or I don't lather at all, just rub on a bit more soap, even out the distribution with my hand and proceed to the shave.

Rufusdog

Forum GOD!
I face-lather only (I think bowl-lathering is redundant) and use shaving cream the majority of the time. I soak my brush (badger or boar) in hottish water in my Moss scuttle whilst showering. After the shower I wet my face with hottish water, shake out the brush and refill my scuttle. I like to start with a not too wet brush and to add water as necessary while lathering. Next I load my brush and commence lathering on my throat with a gentle circular motion. Once I've started to build lather I start using a paintbrush motion, but sometimes if I need more/better lather I'll revert to a circular motion and the go back to paintbrush motion. When I re-lather following subsequent passes I generally use a paintbrush motion.