Cutting out knot to re use

Wayne

Forum Sod
I am getting a new brush made shortly and want a 30mm Maseto 2 band finest. I have 3 on the shelf and would be happy to sacrifice the Ivory one to re use the knot in the new brush. How difficult would it be to cut the knot out of the handle? Is it worth doing for the £30 ish for a new knot?

bakerbarber

Forum GOD!
Depends on how handy you are, what kind of tools you have, and your tolerance for a possible slip up.

Wear safety glasses.

You can get it done by taping the knot up to protect it from dust. Then secure the handle in a vice. Or onto a lathe. Use a little hacksaw or rotary tool. Go slow. Take care about staying away from the knot and work your way through it. Don't rush.

If you use a power tool you should consider a good dust mask to protect your lungs.

Or wrap up the thing in an old rag and crack it with a hammer good and hard. I did that once but don't recommend it unless you are willing to accept possibly breaking the knot also. It's brute force but is less time consuming.

Wayne

Forum Sod
Depends on how handy you are, what kind of tools you have, and your tolerance for a possible slip up.

Wear safety glasses.

You can get it done by taping the knot up to protect it from dust. Then secure the handle in a vice. Or onto a lathe. Use a little hacksaw or rotary tool. Go slow. Take care about staying away from the knot and work your way through it. Don't rush.

If you use a power tool you should consider a good dust mask to protect your lungs.

Or wrap up the thing in an old rag and crack it with a hammer good and hard. I did that once but don't recommend it unless you are willing to accept possibly breaking the knot also. It's brute force but is less time consuming.
Thank you.

Rufusdog

Forum GOD!
4F5D5DF7-8EF9-4F14-8651-F081DCBB0416.jpeg
I steamed the synthetic knot out of my Simpson Classic brush. It came out fully intact and I could re-use it if I want. I used an electric vegetable steamer. It took awhile, as I didn’t want to damage the handle. Here’s a picture:

Last edited:

Wayne

Forum Sod
View attachment 22026 I steamed the synthetic knot out of my Simpson Classic brush. It came out fully intacted and I could re-use it if I wanted. I used an electric vegetable steamer. It took awhile, as I didn’t want to damage the handle. Here’s a picture:
I steamed a TGN 2 band out of a handle once. I wanted the handle on that project but the knot was totally ruined.

Rufusdog

Forum GOD!
I steamed a TGN 2 band out of a handle once. I wanted the handle on that project but the knot was totally ruined.
Murphy’s Law at work. If I’d wanted to save and re-use the knot it would have fallen apart in all likelihood. Unfortunately, you won’t know how it will turn out until the knot’s come out.

D

Deleted member 30

If you want the knot but not the brush then it would be less hassle and make more sense to sell the brush in question to finance the knot you want.

Points to head as I say; "Thinking" now points to feet; "Dancing". :D:thumbsup:

Wayne

Forum Sod
I don't want to ruin a brush to get the knot out but if I'm not going to do it I'll keep it where it is proudly sat on the shelf, :happy:

Acer89

James
My advice is get a new knot. Too much of a risk and knots which have been stressed with heat can often begin to shed.

If you do go ahead my advice is to wrap your handle in a rag and listen for the crack by gently tightening a vice. If you overtighten the vice you risk damaging the base plug.

Get yourself a nice new knot. Nick will provide you with a 30mm finest just remember to specify fan or bulb. He's sometimes a tad slow at replying to messages but he'll get back to you usually within a week.

Last edited:

Conservator

Forum GOD!
The only time I tried to replace a knot I used the steam method. The knot came out fine and the replacement knot fit perfectly. However, the old knot - which never shed a hair. I gave the knot away and learned that it became a shedder.