Cross forum "Razor(s) of 2016 Poll"

Darkbulb

Member #10
As we near the end of the year I thought it would be interesting to have a cross-forum (to gather as much data as possible) across ATG, TSR and TSD poll to crown the Razor of 2016.

What is the "Razor of 2016"?
It's the razor (in each category) that YOU feel was the most successful, new introduction into the market this year.

So what can be included?
The definition of 'razor' here will be either a complete razor such as the Rx Asylum - or a razor head such as the "El Jefe" that have not been release before.

Handles alone - such as, say, Windrose handles, are not, for the purpose of this poll, considered a razor.

If a razor was introduced this year with multiple options w/ heads and handles (such as the Timeless) simply select the name of the razor. No need to go into every possible permutation as that would be too cumbersome.

If a razor was introduced prior to 2016 but this year came out with, say, a new base plate I'll leave it up to you to decide if it's significant enough to include.

What if I don't actually own the razor I want to vote on but feel really strongly about it?
By all means - vote on it. Sometimes how a product is perceived is just as interesting as how it performs.

What if the razor I might want to vote on is not out yet?
I know we have the Rocca, the Parker adjustable, the B&R adjustable, etc, coming out w/in the next few months but w/ it being only seven weeks left of the year I thought it was time to put this up to gather as much input as I could :)

Note: I'll leave this poll open on all forums until Dec 9th when entries will be closed. I'll tally up the votes and we'll see what three(?) razors rises to the top. Feel free to go back and EDIT your vote until that time should you change your mind/a new razor came out.

What categories can I vote in?
For the sake of keeping it simple you can cast three votes:

1) DE razor of 2016
2) SE razor of 2016 (I know this is sacrilege but this also includes injector razors)
3) Overall best-of-show razor (can be a ANY type of razor as long as it made its first entry onto the market in 2016). This is the razor you personally think was THE razor that you'll remember the most from this year.

Note: You can vote for the same razor more than once (it can be, say, both the best DE and the best-in-show razor)

What not to do
You might hate every single razor released this year and that's fine - but try to restrain from commenting/discussing in the thread to keep it as clean as possible so no votes gets lost. I'm sure there are plenty of other threads for that anyway :)

That's it and this is of course all just for entertainment purposes so have fun with it and don't take it too seriously.

To help with some ideas here is a selection of the razors that were introduced during 2016 - note it's not a complete list just something to start from when you look back at the year.

DE
Barbaros TR-1
Timeless Razor
Rocnel DE-P
Hone 15a
Seygus 2016
Blackland Blackbird (pre-orders spanned Dec-Jan but can count as a 2016 razor)

SE
Razorock Hawk
El Jefe
The General
Rx Asylum
Rocnel SE-P (incl. the OC version)
Rocnel SE50
Claymore
ATT SE (1 and 2)
Supply Provision SingleEdge

Last edited:

Darkbulb

Member #10
My votes:

DE: Timeless Razor
Stunningly beautiful with a great modular concept

SE: The General
A razor that punches way above it's humble price point

Best in show: Timeless Razor
Looking back I think this was the razor that made the biggest impact on the market. Rivaling top-shelf razors for quality while still being able to be bought w/out a waiting list.

Batch300

Extraordinarily Uncomplicated
DE: Seygus 2016 DE in black, red, & blue. My first razor purchased directly from reading reviews on TSR (early in 2016 and Father Ted where are you now). Nice shaves, excellent customer service, soft spot for this DE razor.

SE: no experience and thus no vote

Best in Show: Hone 15a. My judging standards include: design, balance, weight, size, head, material, smoothness, price, maneuverability, whisker removal, coating, color, customer service. (If open comb, I would have added teeth). I tend to like 85mm length, lighter weight, black, etc.

Last edited:

Darkbulb

Member #10
DE: Hone 15a, award winning design, nice shaves, bargain (50%) price compared to others
SE: no experience and thus no vote

Best in Show: Hone 15a. My judging standards include: balance, weight, size, head, material, smoothness, maneuverability, whisker removal, coating, color. (If open comb, I would have added teeth). I tend to like 85mm length, lighter weight, black, etc.

Had the 2016 Seygus original closed comb been listed, I may changed my vote.
Note that the list I included in the opening post was just SOME of the razors that came out in 2016 (I can't remember them all :)) - and not to be taken as the only razors you can pick from.
So please update your vote assuming that the Seygus(s) came out this year! :)

Batch300

Extraordinarily Uncomplicated
Note that the list I included in the opening post was just SOME of the razors that came out in 2016 (I can't remember them all :)) - and not to be taken as the only razors you can pick from.
So please update your vote assuming that the Seygus(s) came out this year! :)
I did edit my original entry and changed my DE vote

Acer89

James
My votes:
DE: None - I regretted my ' Nameless' stainless DE 2016 purchase :thumbsdown:

The smoothest SE shave ever experienced. Great value and quality. My No 1 razor of 2016:thumbsup:

Best in show: The General

A minimalist designed razor CNC machined from high grade Aluminium. Superb finish and build quality. Smooth, efficient and extremely good value backed up with good customer service. I own the black and I've just ordered the Silver.:bravo:If I could only own one razor, it would be the General.

Nico1970

Forum GOD!
My votes:

Supremely well made high-end razor with plenty of choice to mix 'n' match handles and heads.

Most surprising razor of the year. Colonial Razor's The General combines a fantastic shaving experience with great value for money.

The DE by which all others are now measured. On a good day, with a following wind, it even surpasses the mighty Wolfman.

Some honourable mentions - Blackland Blackbird DE, PAA DOC Evolution DE, ATT SE2 and Asylum SE.

Chris

Forum DOG!
Staff member
Fantastic build quality and shaves as well as it looks, plus they're available and I really liked the way Timeless have listened to their customers, for example reducing the price of the OC and refunding the difference to people who'd already bought one. That was a classy move.

SE: No vote

They just seem to be doing everything right, long may it continue.

pjgh

Forum GOD!
As an unashamed (some would say bigoted) vintage single edge shaver this is perhaps a curious response:

DE: Hone 15a
SE: None

I've not tried the Hone, but it is a very attractive razor to my eyes, well presented and embraces much of the spirit of why people would pick one or the other type of material. Gosh that brass one is lovely looking with a few shaves on it. On the SE front, I have absolutely no interest in any and think the lot are quite ugly and appear cumbersome to set up and cumbersome to use.

Darkbulb

Member #10
Just for fun here's the current 'standings' as far as voting goes :)

If you haven't voted yet please do and you can always change your vote up until Dec 9th by editing your post
Note: If you've voted in more than one forum I've only counted your votes once. If you want it to only be counted in a certain forum simply delete your vote in the other forum(s).

Last edited:

Rowlers

Massive Member
Staff member
DE for me would have to be the TR-1.
I haven't tried many SEs but for me the Hawk is outstanding for the $$$. So my vote would be Hawk for SE
Best in show has to be Timeless, even though I've yet to hold it. Great concept, looks stunning.