Completed Complete: Barbaros Rocnel Adjustable Pass Around

Dogsmro

Forum GOD!
Oh dear... This doesn't sound great. Interested to hear what the blade gap sizes come out as.
Does sound very intriguing, I feel very honoured indeed to be asked to help out with some measurements, the pressures on now, I don't want to let you chaps down!

Acer89

James
I'm ideally looking for an adjustable with a click stop for each setting. Does the Barbaros Rocnel have that feature?

sɐǝɹpu∀

riverrun
I'm ideally looking for an adjustable with a click stop for each setting. Does the Barbaros Rocnel have that feature?
Nope. The only ones I have tried that had that feature were the vintage Gillette ones... (Slim and Fatboy) There may be others...

sɐǝɹpu∀

riverrun
The razor is on its way to @Dogsmro

• sɐǝɹpu∀ / riverrun (ATG/TSR)
  • Dogsmro (ATG)
  • Rowlers (ATG)
  • Nishy (ATG)
  • Bechet (TSR)
  • Nico1970 (ATG)
The list is closed.
Legend: Currently with, On the way to, Waiting, Completed

Nishy

Forum GOD!
Staff member
Andreas does the head cap have to be positioned in a certain way? Apart from over the blade :wink:

sɐǝɹpu∀

riverrun
Andreas does the head cap have to be positioned in a certain way? Apart from over the blade :wink:
I don't think you 'have to', but the numbers won't align if you don't. Just like with the Merkur Progress. Unlike the Progress the Barbaros-Rocnel has no markings on the head to help you, but I think they are aware of this. Easily fixed for the production version I would think.

Dogsmro

Forum GOD!
Evening chaps, thought I would give you a quick update, I was going to leave it until tomorrow when I have had a shave, as I don't need one today here we go.
I received the BR this afternoon and after a quick examination I thought I spotted a small issue with the razor. One of the features of this adjustable is the ability to remove the pressure plate to facilitate easy, thorough cleaning (unlike the progress). The pressure plate is held in place by a screw from beneath the base plate. On inspection said screw was protruding through the pressure plate by 0.5mm. The result of this was that a blade was resting on this protrusion and not flat on the pressure plate, this in turn lead to blade distortion which explains the negative experience suffered by Andreas.

BR head.jpg
BR srew after.jpg

Top image shows screw protruding through pressure plate
Second image shows screw after adjustment
This is not a fault in the razor, just when reassembling after strip down do not wind the screw too far, it needs to be flush or fractionally below the pressure plate. I can report that this has indeed cured the blade issue. I shall give a shave report tomorrow. I hope that I have made it clear chaps:)

Last edited:

Darkbulb

Member #10
Evening chaps, thought I would give you a quick update, I was going to leave it until tomorrow when I have had a shave, as I don't need one today here we go.
I received the BR this afternoon and after a quick examination I thought I spotted a small issue with the razor. One of the features of this adjustable is the ability to remove the pressure plate to facilitate easy, thorough cleaning (unlike the progress). The pressure plate is held in place by a screw from beneath the base plate. On inspection said screw was protruding through the pressure plate by 0.5mm. The result of this was that a blade was resting on this protrusion and not flat on the pressure plate, this in turn lead to blade distortion which explains the negative experience suffered by Andreas.

View attachment 2778View attachment 2779
Top image shows screw protruding through pressure plate
Second image shows screw after adjustment
This is not a fault in the razor, just when reassembling after strip down do not wind the screw too far, it needs to be flush or fractionally below the pressure plate. I can report that this has indeed cured the blade issue. I shall give a shave report tomorrow. I hope that I have made it clear chaps:)
Give this man a gold-star in his avatar.
Well spotted and resolved :)

sɐǝɹpu∀

riverrun
All good news then. Thank you very much @Dogsmro. I'm quite keen on trying the razor again, but now is a bad time. I've got another pass around razor coming in this week (watch this space) and my own razors feel neglected. Therefore I'll add myself to the end of the pass around again...
  • Dogsmro (ATG)
  • Rowlers (ATG)
  • Nishy (ATG)
  • Bechet (TSR)
  • Nico1970 (ATG)
The list is closed.
Legend: Currently with, On the way to, Waiting, Completed

Dogsmro

Forum GOD!
Right guys lets see if we can get this thread back on track.

Just had my first shave with the BR but first a few thoughts.

I have to say this razor just shouts quality, it looks and feels fantastic, very tactile, aesthetically I love the angled lines of the safety bar, and the way the handle integrates with the head is sublime. The razor is quite hefty (132g) but not unwieldy, this is so cool it's sub zero:). I know this is a preproduction prototype and some changes are in the pipeline I hope they don't change too much. One small change I would like are deeper engraved numbers on the adjustment scale, it's not a deal breaker by any means.

As it was originally sent to me to make some blade gap measurements I thought I might as well, so I took readings at low, mid and full setting, out of interest I did the same with my progress. I know blade gap is only part of the equation but it does give an indication of what to expect.

B&R. Progress
L1 0.55. L1 0.60
L4 0.96. L3 1.00
L8 1.23. L5 1.21
measurements are in mm and of course subject to slight error of measurement +\- 0.01 or so but accurate enough for intended purpose.

Set up
Blade Permasharp
Soap faena (courtesy of @LeeBot)
Brush New Forest
and the star of the show set on 4

After Andreas's experience I started very cautiously but there was no need to worry.
First pass WTG, effortless, glides very easily across the skin, there is a lovely audible resonance as the blade slices through the hairs, nice.

Second pass ATG, again, easy, confidence now turned up to max, you can throw this around the face without worry

Third pass XTG, turned up to 5 for the final pass, yet again not a single drama, cope with my difficult area with ease, no dragging at all, very smooth

I really wanted to like this razor, fortunately It not only looks great, it performed better than my expectations. Do I like it, no, I love it and I want one now!

@theunnamed has produced a fantastic razor, Andreas your going to love it:)

I was not on the original pass around list but this razor was destined to come to me:)

I know it's not the most comprehensive shave report, I leave that to those that are more eloquent than I, but all is good

Thank you to Andreas and @theunnamed

Last edited: