1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Competitive eating

Discussion in 'ATG Cafe' started by Nishy, Apr 16, 2018 at 11:51 AM.

1. Nishy

Nishy Forum GOD! Staff Member

2hot 2trot likes this.
  2. pimple8

pimple8 Veteran

No, never tried. But I would like to. Seems like a sport for me :D

Nishy likes this.
  3. N_Architect

N_Architect Legendary Member

To be honest looks quite risky/dangerous if you ask me.

Rowlers likes this.
  4. Batch300

Batch300 Extraordinarily Uncomplicated

Nathan's Hotdog contest - Coney Island July 4 - well know event

View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rmMxgR7XNuo

The contest has gained public attention in recent years due to the stardom of Takeru Kobayashi (5"8" 128 pound Japanese star) and Joey Chestnut (Amercian Defending champion who ate 72 hot dogs in the 2017 contest).

If possible, find some 10-15 year old video of the event. Kobayashi would eat 65 hot dogs, 2nd place was 35 and 3rd place was 29 hot dogs. Some of the 30 contestants would eat 10 hot dogs, turn green, and just stand there.

Nishy likes this.
  5. 2hot 2trot

2hot 2trot Forum GOD!

I am not competitive by any stretch of the imagination until someone tells me there is "NO" way I could do it. :D

An aperitif before I went for the main course.

aperitif

Mission accomplished

EDIT: Link is not working.
    Apologise folks.

6. bakerbarber

bakerbarber Guru

I wince at things like this. Something about people gorging themselves hits a nerve for me. I'm not normally squeamish. I'm also a fairly large guy. I don't know what it is.

The guy who used to have a show in the US called Man vs Food had to stop doing it. He often looked to be in genuine physical pain. He would attempt all sorts of stunts besides sheer quantity or speed. Like spicy food. I watched it despite being turned off by it most times. Like seeing a train wreck.

Nishy and Matsilainen like this.
  7. wintoid

wintoid Veteran

I did it for charity at uni 30 years ago and it was horrible. When you're full, the crowd wants more, and cheers you on. They basically want to see you throw up. I wouldn't do it again.

I lost, by the way. I did keep it down.

N_Architect and Nishy like this.
  8. Wayne

Wayne Forum Sod

I love Man Vs Food it just screams Americana to me but I realise it is a television show so not representative of the U.S and their eating habits. I used to have an above healthy appetite (Greedy sod) but I've slimmed down and stopped over eating now and feel better for it. This guy is worth a watch
    https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCMJlGrPk73l9U6qahc8D_gA

Rowlers and Nishy like this.
  9. Nishy

Nishy Forum GOD! Staff Member

Man V Food is great. The link in the OP is a British guy which I can relate to more, having the same restaurants/food chains near me. What is interesting is that he is also a personal trainer and has uploaded videos of blood tests etc after 3 years of competitive eating. He also makes his own beard oils, which is how I stumbled across his channel :)

Rowlers likes this.
  10. MPH

MPH Guru

As someone who had his Gall bladder removed two months ago all I can say is....

No,
    NO,
    And thrice.... NO!!!!!!!!!

I do love watching it though. :)

Nishy likes this.
  11. efsk

efsk Legendary Member

yuck.

p.b and Nishy like this.