Cobra Classic available now, delivery in June

MrK1

Forum GOD!
The only thing that bugs me is that I just managed to get my hands on a used one, at the same price the fella got it for in the first place, only to see it being announced at 20 dollars more for a brand new one... Here's me thinking the price was justified since it's rare and highly sought after. Doh!
Imagine how I feel -
I once had to sell a mint Cobra Classic for £125 because no one was interested in buying it.

I think it was about the time the Mongoose came out.

MPH

Forum GOD!
Imagine how I feel -
I once had to sell a mint Cobra Classic for £125 because no one was interested in buying it.

I think it was about the time the Mongoose came out.
If you have a spare I'll give you £126 for it! ;-)

halvor

a most elusive fish
Do you have a report on here Halvor?
Nothing in-depth, just an SOTD and a brief follow-up note comparing it to the King on James' request http://www.atgshaving.com/posts/113092/

Succinctly described by Todd above there, though, "a straight on a stick". This more exposed cutting angle, blade holding method or whatever to call it, is much preferred to the flat, more shielded one of e.g. Mongoose. Closeness and blade feel closer to the Artist Club shavettes without the same demand for attention and angle.

halvor

a most elusive fish
I'll check when I get home @Holyzeus. For now though, am I right in remembering that you prefer the longer Blackbird handle? If so, the King is for you, not the Classic.

Nishy

Forum GOD!
Staff member
According to the website it's just the handle that differs between the two, is this correct? In other words are the heads the same design?

slantman

Forum GOD!
I owned two Cobras bought from the beginning at only $125 including shipping and a pack of Feather AC blades. Now the price has gone to $220 without blades. To insert and remove the blade is a pain in the rear.

UKRob

Forum GOD!
I've said it before, so I'll say it again - the quality is very variable. I bought mine from an established supplier in Scotland and paid £150 many years ago. Despite trying many different blades the shave could, at times, be terrible. I then read some threads and realised that the problem was blade alignment and the fact that the blade could ride above the stops - thereby increasing blade gap with obvious results.

So, I returned it and waited a couple of months until it was returned - with no obvious improvement. Basically, the design is poor in my opinin. I could probably make it safer by getting a Dremel tool and making the blade position more secure - but if the makers can't be bothered to do that, why should I?

I keep it for looks alone. In that respect I suppose I'm no different to an art collector - after all, there aren't many Andy Warhol's you can shave with.