Cheap Tuxedos!?!

Conservator

Forum GOD!
I have had a number of synthetic brushes. The first one I bought was in 2012 and was made by Parker. When wet, this brush clumped together and was of poor quality. My next synthetic was the H.I.S. brush. This brush was huge. It did a good job making lather but was so springy that lather would splatter on the mirror - something that does not promote domestic tranquility. :(
upload_2017-7-31_11-23-47.png

I then got a Muhle Silvertip Fibre brush. This brush although expensive was great. It mimicked a badger brush in performance but dried like a synthetic should. I have had that brush for over three years now and it remains my favorite synthetic.
upload_2017-7-31_11-22-3.png

Next up was a Plisson Cade. For me, it is just an OK brush. I prefer a brush with more backbone than that. Then came a Maggard synthetic with a Plisson knot. This is another big brush and works very nicely. It makes great lather. The knot is 26mm and although it has a Plisson knot it does have some backbone to it while the tips are soft.
upload_2017-7-31_11-27-49.png

Next up was a Tuxedo knot by APshaving. Another good synthetic. It has a very nice feel to it and has enough backbone to satisfy me. My final synthetic was the Omega Hi brush. The Omega is another excellent brush. Does a great job of making lather without splatter! Plus, it has a nice feel.

Well, that's my .02 on synthetics!:D

p.b

Forum GOD!
Does anyone know if the Black and White knots from Maggards are the same as the Tuxedo knots from Etsy? They are a little cheaper but with much cheaper shipping (plus one can add soaps and stuff...)

Last edited:

slapo

It's... alive!
Does anyone know if the Black and White knots from Maggards are the same as the Tuxedo knots from Etsy? They are a little cheaper but with much cheaper shipping (plus one can add soaps and stuff...)
I think there's a chap on YouTube who compared them and, if I remember well, concluded they were not the same, although he did seem to like them, too.
Has anyone received a Yaqi brush with the black or black white-tipped knot? The prices are good.
I'm less tempted now after ordering AP's faux horse hair brush (22mm) for quick shaves, but still curious.
Also the 50mm FS brush - that one seems it could be like the Fine Stout after a hair binge. :-D

morr

Forum GOD!
I haven't tried it but everyone confirms it's the same knot.
...Has anyone received a Yaqi brush with the black or black white-tipped knot?...
I have one and it's not the same as Tuxedo; less dense and more springy. I don't really like it.

vtmax

Forum GOD!
IMG_1460.JPG
IMG_1464.JPG
IMG_1469.JPG

I have both the AP Tuxedos and the 'Black Mags.' Both exactly the same and amazing. Just finished putting together a 28mm.

I do love my Simpsons, Thaters, Rooney's and on, spent years acquiring them and learning their nuances, but for pure lather quality and face prep, I can't find a better knot than the Tuxedos. Perfect prep every time!:happy:

Rowlers

Massive Member
Staff member
View attachment 15632 View attachment 15633 View attachment 15634

I have both the AP Tuxedos and the 'Black Mags.' Both exactly the same and amazing. Just finished putting together a 28mm.

I do love my Simpsons, Thaters, Rooney's and on, spent years acquiring them and learning their nuances, but for pure lather quality and face prep, I can't find a better knot than the Tuxedos. Perfect prep every time!:happy:
Can I ask what the"black mags" are? Maggards?

Mr Bigmem

Forum GOD!
View attachment 15632 View attachment 15633 View attachment 15634

Is that a whipped dog handle?