1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Castle Forbes Cedarwood & Sandalwood Cream

Discussion in 'Shaving Creams' started by BlacknTan, Nov 6, 2016.

1. BlacknTan

BlacknTan Legendary Member

It's no secret that I consider Castle Forbes to be the ultimate shave cream .. in my opinion, of course. I've seen the other flavors commented on, and listed in SOTD's on the various forums, but not so often for Cedarwood & Sandalwood.

I was running low on Lavender, which I enjoyed immensely, but I just wanted to try something different.. Lime did not appeal to me, and I love Sandalwood, so I chose the Cedarwood and Sandalwood. This was really different than what I was expecting ... This is not your grandfather's shave cream! No "foo-foo" here!

A very unambiguous, masculine scent .. earthy and woodsy, very different from anything I've tried, but I like it, and as with many products I need to adjust to, I think I will grow to like it more over the course of time.. In any case, I'm certainly glad I took the chance and tried it .. it's kind of like bringing the outdoors indoors for your shave ..

[​IMG]

JamieM, Nishy, bandito and 2 others like this.
  2. sɐǝɹpu∀

sɐǝɹpu∀ riverrun

I only have a sample of it and I love it. It performs like Castle Forbes and smells like a freshly cut plank of wood. I don't get any Sandalwood scent, but I like it a lot. Lumberjack. Good stuff, although the Lime is my favourite...

Redd and BlacknTan like this.
  3. Redd

Redd A Right Member

Hmm.... I do like the Lime, but I think Lavender edges it for me. That said, the Lime allows me to splash on the OS Lime AS and that is a very good thing indeed.

BlacknTan likes this.
  4. Acer89

Acer89 James

Castle Forbes is indeed a great range. I have both the Lime and Lavender and added the Cedarwood and Sandalwood to my wish list.

I have four Sandalwood soaps but can't quite understand why the scents differ so greatly. The closest I've come to the true sandalwood scent is Antica Barbieria Colla Red Sandalwood Aftershave Milk. Not exactly cheap at £40 but really a fabulous scent which lasts.

5. SeanC

SeanC Legendary Member

The problem is that most sandalwood scents are synthetic and so interpretation varies. To date I've found that Art of Shaving (AOS) is probably the closest to a rich Mysore Sandal type smell and if you can pin some down, the performance of the NOS tallow version is as great as the smell.

BlacknTan and Acer89 like this.
  6. Pablo509

Pablo509 Active Member

Of all the soaps I own, this is by far the strongest scent. Love the performance.

BlacknTan likes this.
  7. Bigboar

Bigboar Senior Member

I have 2/3 of a puck of the tallow AoS, it'll be going on BST when I get my privileges!

Greg

8. Nishy

Nishy Forum GOD! Staff Member

Not a fan of the lime, it reminds me of Starburst sweets. Lavender is lovely though. Murdock's shave cream I find 'tastier' than the sandalwood and cedarwood.

9. JamieM

JamieM Merthyr Tydfil, South Wales

I love Cedarwood and Sandalwood I may need to try this one.

10. qVAMPIREp

qVAMPIREp Active Member

Believe it or not this was my very first wet shaving soap/cream. When you start like that its hard to screw up but it also takes alot to impress me as a result. To me it smells like walkng through an old Cedar Sawmill. At first I wasn't sure what to think, it's got a little bit of smokiness to it. It grew on me more and more with every shave. I would say its like the "Comfort Food" of shaving. Very warm and welcoming like an old friend if that makes sense :wink:

Acer89 likes this.
  11. Acer89

Acer89 James

Me likes the comfort food! :hungry:
    You enabler you... I'm going to have to buy some some now. The CF lavender is always one I'd buy again. :thumbsup:

qVAMPIREp likes this.
  12. jaycey

jaycey Senior Member

To me it is the most subtle of the CF cream fragrances. This isn't a bad thing as the lime is bold, fresh & fruity, a lovely spring/summer fragrance. The Lavender in my opinion is over the top, it almost makes my eyes water!
    Funny as when I first considered getting the Cedarwood & Sandlwood, I searched and found mostly 'meh' reviews & comments. When I got it, I fell in love, it really rocks my boat. It's a beautiful, warming, buttery wood scent that just makes me want to snuggle up with it :wub: Along with that luxury lather it produces, it's in my top 3.

Acer89 likes this.