1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Buying far too much

Discussion in 'General Shaving' started by Holyzeus, Jan 4, 2017.

1. Dipesh

Dipesh Veteran Staff Member

Me too. I never look at ingredients. Makes no difference to me.

Also from what I understand USA soaps have no regulation so you can take those ingredient lists with a pinch of salt. Anyone remember the crap wth htgam and the order of the ingredients list?

vtmax, Redd and Shaverrific666 like this.
  2. Looney12345

Looney12345 Veteran

Thank you for that :) I'm trying to weed out anything with petrol derived ingredients and other chemical ingredients. There are some products I use that still have them and I can't bring myself to bin them, but when they are done I won't be replacing and I won't be buying anything that isn't as close to natural as poss. I'll be starting a thread on this very subject actually, one for people to debate about and the other to only make recommendations...

Shaverrific666 likes this.
  3. Looney12345

Looney12345 Veteran

One reason why I haven't bought soap products from the states...

4. Most welcome. I make my own Aftershave (which is fairly natural) but it is somewhat difficult to eliminate every little nasty in cosmetics. Never had any trouble with DR Harris..though it does have a rather long ingredients list. Funnily enough, I always get bad irritation from products that claim to be "sensitive" and free from this and that.:scratchhead:

pj3r and Looney12345 like this.
  5. Reading shaving forums is not easy on the credit card balance. Then @Darkbulb adds watches, Popov Leather, and spinners. As @Redd suggests, raise the bar on "must have purchases" and apply some logic before purchase.

6. Looney12345

Looney12345 Veteran

Thread started!

Yes exactly it's very hard to eliminate everything... Make your own, scour ingredients lists it or put up with a little of the "not so nasties" seems to be the options available... Interested to hear more about your homemade aftershave if your happy to share. Perhaps on the recommendations thread I started? Don't want to derail this one!

Shaverrific666 likes this.
  7. Certainly! I shall post on it.:thumbsup:

Looney12345 likes this.
  8. Holyzeus

Holyzeus Über Member

Well a customs charge card has arrived today, I'll be f***** if I can remember what it's for though..:facepalm:

Reevers, Rowlers, Blackmass and 3 others like this.
  9. Holyzeus

Holyzeus Über Member

Finally tracked it down to a El Druida brush on a US Facebook page, doh!

10. Nishy

Nishy Guru Staff Member

I'm working on technique this year. With all the acquisitions of last year, it seems the wisest option.

11. Redd

Redd A Right Member

It's the cheapest - but short of unloading stuff and actually making something back:meh:

still, at least you have your side job as a catalogue model to fall back on:p:

halvor, Nishy and Dipesh like this.
  12. Nishy

Nishy Guru Staff Member

I can see the calendar already :wink:

Redd and halvor like this.
  13. vtmax

vtmax Well-Known Member

Trying to stay focused just on quality. I feel uneasy if there are a bunch of soaps just sitting not getting used. I can't imagine getting to 50 soaps again. That was nuts!

Dipesh is right about htgam. Probably one of the most unsavory characters I've come across.

I do inherently trust Larry at CRSW and Mike from Mike's Natural. They do everything the right way imo.

efsk likes this.
  14. efsk

efsk Über Member

Varietas delectat. The diversity of your gear makes it fun..

Rowlers likes this.
  15. Nishy

Nishy Guru Staff Member

Well we're coming to the middle of January nothing bought so far this year, doing well, not been enticed as yet.

Rowlers likes this.