1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Brylcreem Alternative?

Discussion in 'Grooming and Style' started by jb7, Sep 19, 2016.

1. Nick_S

Nick_S Atypical Audi Driver

Have you thought about hair tonics? I see you're not keen on oil based pomades, so will leave out Dax (despite it giving wonderful sheen and conditioning the scalp/hair wonderfully). They may do the trick a bit :)

2. pjgh

pjgh Forum GOD!

Tabac do a hair cream ... oh, it's the scent that's bothering you ... never mind:roflmao:

Redd and Nick_S like this.
  3. pjgh

pjgh Forum GOD!

Applied to damp hair, even the non-greasy tonics to a little hold ... so long as you're not one of those fellows who fiddles with his hair. The greasy stuff obviously has more hold (giving weight to the hair) but nothing at all like a pomade. I have Trumper's Eucris, which has paraffin oil in it and Esprit Fougère, which is an aftershave, body splash and hair tonic, but has just a tad of castor oil in it. Trumper's Eucris will settle out and needs shaking before use, the Esprit is far less oily and does not.

Pinaud do a good few ... both oily and non-oily. Pashana do as well.

4. Mrchick

Mrchick Handsome Avatar

I use this and like the smell.
    IMG_0720.JPG

5. Rufusdog

Rufusdog Senior Member

Notwithstanding my reservation about the oil in Brylcreem, I bought a tube of it in the pharmacy this morning. It was just Can$5, so I figured that it wouldn't piss me off if I don't like it. So far I don't have a problem with the smell. I still have my eye on a bottle of Trumper's Lime Hair Cream, but at Can$30 for a bottle I thought I'd give Brylcreem a shot first. My father used Brylcreem most of his life and swore by it (along with Noxcema his miracle cream) and I don't recall my mother complaining about its oil or smell.

Last edited: Sep 28, 2016
  6. jb7

jb7 Bloke

Quick update -

Was in the local Euro store last week and spotted 'Ingram Hair Cream - For Conditioning and Light Hold', same crowd that make the shaving cream. At €1.50 it was worth a punt.

I'm getting along with it rather well - scent is similar to Brylcreem, but slightly weaker/more pleasant. Lighter consistency and less oily than Brylcreem, but performs along the same lines in terms of taming the fluffiness and giving a little sheen & hold. I also like that it comes in a tube and not a tub.

Only problem, it was their last tube - hopefully they'll stock some more :)

Last edited: Oct 6, 2016
    dowsing likes this.
  7. dowsing

dowsing Guru

If you're looking to get some more Savers sell it for about 50 or 75p. I've got some too and quite like it for when my hair is very short.

jb7 likes this.
  8. jb7

jb7 Bloke

Don't think we have Savers here in Ireland, but the shop I bought if from have a few stores around so I'm sure there's a few tubes floating around out there.

9. ManicDee

ManicDee Über Member

There is another type of Dax Called "Super-Neat" which is rinseable and I have used it for years.

jb7 likes this.
  10. Steve Bowles

Steve Bowles Über Member

Axle grease.

11. jb7

jb7 Bloke

Will keep the eyes open for this one, thanks.

12. aclf101

aclf101 Active Member

Depending on levels of shine/hold, I have used:

Dax - Short & Neat: little goes a long way but a hard wax good for definition.

Dax (blue tin something & wavy?!) for longer hair and again left variable shine depending on amount used. Both dax need a daily hair wash!

My old skool suggestion would be for Black & White 'genuine pluko dressing'!

Great stuff, softer hold and more of a pomade with a great smell.

If it's a Matt hold you after / no shine then there are hundreds of 'texture clays' out there.

jb7 likes this.
  13. BlacknTan

BlacknTan Guru

I've been using Brylcreem my entire life... I wouldn't even think of using anything else!

14. DevonStan

DevonStan Guru

Dowsing said - If you're looking to get some more Savers sell it for about 50 or 75p. I've got some too and quite like it for when my hair is very short.

On your recommendation I bought a tube in Savers for less than a pound and liked it very much. They, too, are out of stock now. Amazon will send me one for over five pounds though :-(

I'll keep looking.

jb7 likes this.
  15. DevonStan

DevonStan Guru

This was a helpful thread.... thanks to all who made helpful suggestions (apart from the reference to axle grease which contributed absolutely nothing).

The Ingrams was just right and I wish I'd bought all the stock in the shop.... and it was so ridiculously cheap too. But hindsight is a wonderful thing and I now need to either find something similar or pay five times what Savers were charging. Either way it's not the end of the world but that really was a bargin and no mistake guvnor.

jb7 likes this.