1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Brylcreem Alternative?

Discussion in 'Grooming and Style' started by jb7, Sep 19, 2016.

1. jb7

jb7 Bloke

Looking for something that performs the same as Brylcreem but doesn't stink the way Brylcreem does.

My hair is very short and I use a tiny amount of Brylcreem after washing my hair to tone down the frizzy effect and give it a little sheen/moisture. I like that Brylcreem leaves my hair soft and I can still run a comb through it at any time with ease. I just hate the smell, turns my stomach.

Any advice chaps on something with similar features and a better smell?

Last edited: Sep 19, 2016
    Redd likes this.
  2. Nishy

Nishy Guru Staff Member

Yardley brilliantine?

jb7 likes this.
  3. jb7

jb7 Bloke

Humm... possibly. Having a look now... trying to source and get it sent to IRE without breaking the bank.

4. jb7

jb7 Bloke

DAX is still heavy and hard to wash out these days right? Been about 15+ years since I used it.

5. PLANofMAN

PLANofMAN Retro Razor Junkie

Brylcreem is what I use as well. I put it on before I apply my aftershave. I wash my hands, apply my aftershave, then add an extra splash, rub my hands together and run them through my hair. It helps with the odor, which I don't mind, but it clashes sometimes with my aftershaves.

Maybe try squirting a few blasts of colone or EdT into the tube, sealing it, and massaging the mixture?

jb7 likes this.
  6. Nishy

Nishy Guru Staff Member

Let me know if your having trouble should have some lying around the shop :)

jb7 likes this.
  7. jb7

jb7 Bloke

Thanks guys - will have a look again today and see where that takes me.

Appreciate the offer @Nishy, let me look around before I start putting my burden on you my friend.

@PLANofMAN - have you tried that American stuff 'Groom & Clean', seems to crop up a lot as an alternative.

Nishy likes this.
  8. Redd

Redd A Right Member

The smell of Brylcreem will always remind me of my Dad.:notworthy:

Oh, he's not dead or owt, he just hasn't got much of a barnet these days:laugh:

Gairdner and halvor like this.
  9. Nishy

Nishy Guru Staff Member

Not a burden at all, only issue I forsee is that it would leave a sheen to the hair, I think it's a vaseline type material

jb7 likes this.
  10. jb7

jb7 Bloke

Yep, I watched a Youtube video review yesterday and I'm not 100% sure that it would be the right fit for me. The guy had quite long hair and was going all rockabilly on it. It did seem to be in excess of what I need considering my hair is only about an inch long on top.

I really am just looking for something with natural hold that will take the dry frizzy look off my hair once it has been washed. I can live with the Brylcreem, smell aside it does the job. I just assumed with so many products out there that someone might have come up with Brylcreem clone that actually smells pleasant.

Nishy likes this.
  11. Nishy

Nishy Guru Staff Member

I can't offer you a clone, however I swear by Murdock's Matt mudd. They have a whole range, perhaps even one that has a similar consistency to brylcreem. May seem quite expensive but easily lasts me a whole year.

jb7 likes this.
  12. Rufusdog

Rufusdog Well-Known Member

What about Trumper's West Indies Extract of Lime Hair Cream? I'm currently looking for a hair product to replace the gel I've been using; I keep my hair short and it's fine. Any gel I've tried leaves my hair stiff, which I don't like. On the other hand, I don't want a pomade because that would be too heavy and Brylcream would be greasy. I understand that Trumper's hair cream is light and non-greasy and doesn't leave your hair feeling sticky or stiff. Sounds like what I'm looking for.

jb7 likes this.
  13. jb7

jb7 Bloke

Thanks chaps - keep the suggestions coming, I am reviewing them all.

14. p.b

p.b Veteran

Oribe fibre groom.

Smells nice too. Bit pricey though.

jb7 likes this.
  15. jb7

jb7 Bloke

I'm definitely thinking I need a leave in conditioner cream as opposed to anything other type of product. The Trumpers might be of interest. I watched a video about the Oribe, but I don't think it's for me as it seems a bit too heavy.