Bolzano blades

Hexagrapher

I tried them when I was shaving with a Merkur 39C slant.

Awful. For me, they tugged and were either too blunt or just unsuitable for the slant design. But I would give them top marks for the packaging - easily the most beautifully presented crap blades I've ever used.

bakerbarber

Forum GOD!
I heard that they are a brand in name only.

Have seen some pretty awful reviews on them from gents who tried and did not like them a few years ago.

I got some this spring or summer and liked them quite a bit. Sharp, smooth, and consistent.

I would speculate that they have farmed out to a much better production facility than whomever made them in the past.

If it's true that they are made by a third party then the consistency of their quality and performance would be a legitimate question.

No one really knows for sure that I have seen.

My experience, recently, has been very positive.

Everything regarding the origination of the blades themselves I've seen in the last year has been pure speculation though.

I wouldn't go out of my way to get some or pay a premium for them right now. I wouldn't avoid them like the plague either.

I got mine from the website in Switzerland. Fair price and great service. I got 40 blades if I remember correctly. Got a bunch of Kai at the same time. The Bolzanos I have from that order are great. Have used a couple 5 packs without issue.

Redd

A Right Member
If they paid the QC bloke as much as they paid the graphic designer, that would be step up. Love the packaging, but found the blades a bit too much of a lottery.:meh:

Bizzyberry

Forum GOD!
Bolzano is one of my favourite blades, for me they are on par with Gillette 7 O'Clock Yellow, Lord Platinum Class and Polsilver Stainless (not SI).

There is something about the packaging that appeals as well, I believe that the Elios blades are made in the same factory and I found these to be a lesser blade for me.

Gairdner

Forum GOD!
Quite liked the ones I've tried. Same with Elios. The Elios Inox I have in my 34c at present seems like it wants to go on forever and I've had good shaves every time. Buy a packet and make your own mind up. If you find 'em guff then it's no big loss.

Nico1970

Forum GOD!
Wow, this thread has got me thinking (and searching)!

I tried Bolzanos about 3 years ago or thereabouts and thought they were as rough as a badger's arse! I'm sure I have some left over in 'Nico's den' so I'll definitely have to dig them out and revisit them.

IIRC, when I tried the Bolzanos before, I was thinking something they were along the lines of Merkur blades...:cursing:

I tried them and very much liked them. After a couple of blades I thought "Could this be the one?" I have thought that several times but it turned out they were not.
I'd still use them but they are expensive compared to many others. I'm switching between Perma-sharps, Ladas and Voskhods still.

matteob

Might get around to trying them. I hear they are made in Germany for the Italian market. I have no idea who by.