Blacklands Sabre in hand. Classy & Elegant Presentation....

Nishy

Forum GOD!
Staff member
Second shave completed with the Sabre and definitely a better shave than on Saturday. The angle was pretty accurate for the most part, although I still feel slight stubble around the jawline. I'm BBS everywhere else, though. This is a mildly aggressive razor and I'm still not feeling at ease with that. I much prefer the greater aggression of the Blackbird and I'm getting the impression the Sabre is not going to be able to compete, in that respect, no matter how good the shave.
I shall use the Sabre again, tomorrow, and by then I'll know if it's going or staying.

Hiya David, I've not tried the Sabre but do own the SB and OC. For me they are like night and day. Unfortunately I didn't enjoy the OC and haven't after several further attempts. The SB is pure class. Where the Timeless is smooth and comfortable the SB is smooth and direct. With regards to comfort, I have an early version of the SB with the sharper corners. Initially these were apparent when shaving now they are not. By no means is the shave uncomfortable on any level. What impresses me most is how the razor almost sucks the face cresting somewhat of a vacuum and thus increasing efficiency tenfold. Will be interested to hear what you make of the OC.

Optometrist

Forum GOD!
Hiya David, I've not tried the Sabre but do own the SB and OC. For me they are like night and day. Unfortunately I didn't enjoy the OC and haven't after several further attempts. The SB is pure class. Where the Timeless is smooth and comfortable the SB is smooth and direct. With regards to comfort, I have an early version of the SB with the sharper corners. Initially these were apparent when shaving now they are not. By no means is the shave uncomfortable on any level. What impresses me most is how the razor almost sucks the face cresting somewhat of a vacuum and thus increasing efficiency tenfold. Will be interested to hear what you make of the OC.
Hi, Avnish. I've had my SB polished Blackbird for a week and absolutely loving it. Four shaves in and it can do no wrong. I actually prefer it over the Timeless 0.95OC. Both give very close shaves with great audio, but the Blackbird also has excellent feel. The Timeless, if anything, is too smooth, if that makes sense.
My polished OC arrived in the UK, this morning, according to tracking, so expecting the dreaded card on Tuesday or Wednesday. I know you told me you preferred the SB over the OC when I asked you about both, however, I needed to try the OC for myself. I'm very tempted to buy the SB in all three finishes. I seriously can see the Blackbird becoming the only razor I need.

The Sabre is way too mild for my liking, although after three uses, I was getting excellent results from it. A great design, just not my thing.

Last edited:

Nishy

Forum GOD!
Staff member
Hi, Avnish. I've had my SB polished Blackbird for a week and absolutely loving it. Four shaves in and it can do no wrong. I actually prefer it over the Timeless 0.95OC. Both give very close shaves with great audio, but the Blackbird also has excellent feel. The Timeless, if anything, is too smooth, if that makes sense.
My polished OC arrived in the UK, this morning, according to tracking, so expecting the dreaded card on Tuesday or Wednesday. I know you told me you preferred the SB over the OC when I asked you about both, however, I needed to try the OC for myself. I'm very tempted to buy the SB in all three finishes. I seriously can see the Blackbird becoming the only razor I need.

The Sabre is way too mild for my liking, although after three uses, I was getting excellent results from it. A great design, just not my thing.
Totally understand David, I lent the OC to @Rowlers and he loved it, it also looks pure class. I guess that's why I keep at it, I want to love it, so probably just a matter of time. Given the rotation that may be some while! Look forward to hearing your thoughts on the OC. I too sometimes prefer the SB to the Timeless saying this I also at times prefer the Wolfman OC (0.74), PILS and BBS-1 to the Timeless. It is for the reason you mention above, I see others as being more direct or even dare I say tactile to the touch. However, in all honesty the Timeless has excellent blade 'feel' and direction. Perhaps at times I use audio feedback more than visual edge with the Timeless.

Lann

Forum GOD!
Had my first shave with the Sabre, all thanks to @Holyzeus. While I had my heart set on getting the polished version of the Sabre, the opportunity to own one was just too good to pass up, given both that both this razor's aesthetics and the shave people sharing on this thread say it provides greatly appealed to me. You are right Shane @Blackland Razors the machine finish is stunning !!!

I have to be honest and say that I have no prior experience of a single edged razor, (unless you count the old BIC disposable I learnt to shave with when I was teenager in the 80's), so didn't quite know what to expect.
I needn't have worried because it produced a really smooth shave. I did my normal 3 pass shave and was left with a very smooth face. There are a few places that I need to practice a bit more on - such as under my nose - but all in all, a great first shave and I am delighted with my new acquisition. Thank you once again @Holyzeus and @Blackland Razors .

Blackland Razors

Forum GOD!
Artisan
Had my first shave with the Sabre, all thanks to @Holyzeus. While I had my heart set on getting the polished version of the Sabre, the opportunity to own one was just too good to pass up, given both that both this razor's aesthetics and the shave people sharing on this thread say it provides greatly appealed to me. You are right Shane @Blackland Razors the machine finish is stunning !!!

I have to be honest and say that I have no prior experience of a single edged razor, (unless you count the old BIC disposable I learnt to shave with when I was teenager in the 80's), so didn't quite know what to expect.
I needn't have worried because it produced a really smooth shave. I did my normal 3 pass shave and was left with a very smooth face. There are a few places that I need to practice a bit more on - such as under my nose - but all in all, a great first shave and I am delighted with my new acquisition. Thank you once again @Holyzeus and @Blackland Razors .
Great write up! I hope you're still enjoying the Sabre and having even better shaves.

Sinaisid

Forum GOD!
First shave with Sabre yesterday. I found it very smooth, but needed 3 passes plus some extra buffing on neck and chin to get a DFS!! Early days but it seems a tad mild?? It certainly is behind my clutch of AC SE razors!! - in terms of efficiency.
I love the look and build quality so a keeper but when I really want an easy BBS I'll look elsewhere!!
Oh and post shave face feel (very subjective) is not so good. As I mentioned I needed quite a bit of buffing on the neck and chin and got a bit of extra feedback from the Snakebite aftershave that's my test for irritation!!

Last edited:

Str8Mug

Forum GOD!
Any word on the new, more efficient base plate? No news on Blacklands website or on any of their social media pages. Could there be a delay or setback?