Blackland Sabre GEM Razor

Nishy

Forum GOD!
Staff member
I'm a big fan. I have more GEM blades stashed away than all other blades combined.
They are very stiff, unlike flimsy, fluttery DE blades.
They are reasonably priced (from 2.4p each when bought from Connaught).
They are sharp.
They are not ridiculously wide - unlike Feather AC blades.
They last longer than DE blades.
They fit in my Ever-Ready 1912. For that alone I bought 100s of them :p:
I'm actually not sure if I'm a bigger fan of the blades or of the 1912.

I'm in two minds about a modern GEM-SE razor. On the one hand I'm intrigued and can't wait to try one. On the other hand I have my doubts if it will improve on the old classics. Also, you can still pick up a 1912 for a tenner or less.
Only a pass around will tell... Hint, hint, hint...
Hey Andreas, how is the face feel when compared to a Feather single edge, the kind you use in the One Blade?

Nishy

Forum GOD!
Staff member
What's interesting is this doesn't look too different to the new Claymore, obviously using a different blade, but from memory that thing wasn't a looker for me.

Blackland Razors

Forum GOD!
Artisan
What's interesting is this doesn't look too different to the new Claymore, obviously using a different blade, but from memory that thing wasn't a looker for me.
I suppose vaguely in the same sense that all SE razors look similar, but I don't see them sharing aesthetics in any significant way. Next week's head photos should show further distinction.

Last edited:

sɐǝɹpu∀

riverrun
Hey Andreas, how is the face feel when compared to a Feather single edge, the kind you use in the One Blade?
I'm not a fan of the Feather FHS blades. For me they are a bit harsh and only last for a single shave. Not my least favourite Feather blade - the FAS carbon blades are even worse. I find the GEMs much smoother (and they last a lot longer). I very much preferred modified GEM blades over Feather blades in the OneBlade. Other people didn't.

MPF9

Forum GOD!
Why did I read this Thread, I do like the idea of this one and may well be tempted somewhere along the line. Need to offload some "Oldies" though. My Wife invited the Postman in the other day, to see what he has been delivering over the last 3 Years:ohmy: he said.

Len

Forum GOD!
I certainly can't reply to how a GEM shaves in a Sabre, as Sabres aren't out yet. But, some blades shave better in some razors, while other blades shave better in other razors.

That aside...

In my experience, the Feather FHS is both sharper and smoother (by a long shot on both counts!) than the GEM PTFE. The GEM is, for me, quite harsh for the first couple of shaves, and then smooths out nicely (but is still not nearly as sharp as the Feather). On the flip side, GEM blades are much cheaper, and I can get about twice as many shaves out of a single blade. Still though, smoother and sharper wins for me, regardless of the extra premium paid for the Feather.

And, the above is why my enthusiasm is shot for the Sabre. I really wanted to see an SE made for the GEM and Feather. Since I can't use my preferred blade, will probably pass on this one... Unless... a modification to the Feather can be made easily... or... I read reviews that make me reconsider the GEM in the Sabre.

Will be watching...

Blackland Razors

Forum GOD!
Artisan
I certainly can't reply to how a GEM shaves in a Sabre, as Sabres aren't out yet. But, some blades shave better in some razors, while other blades shave better in other razors.

That aside...

In my experience, the Feather FHS is both sharper and smoother (by a long shot on both counts!) than the GEM PTFE. The GEM is, for me, quite harsh for the first couple of shaves, and then smooths out nicely (but is still not nearly as sharp as the Feather). On the flip side, GEM blades are much cheaper, and I can get about twice as many shaves out of a single blade. Still though, smoother and sharper wins for me, regardless of the extra premium paid for the Feather.

And, the above is why my enthusiasm is shot for the Sabre. I really wanted to see an SE made for the GEM and Feather. Since I can't use my preferred blade, will probably pass on this one... Unless... a modification to the Feather can be made easily... or... I read reviews that make me reconsider the GEM in the Sabre.

Will be watching...
Good feedback, thanks! I'll get my hands on some Feathers again and see what mods are needed. It'll be similar to the mods for getting a GEM into a OneBlade- cutting new notches. The tougher part will be dealing with the center hole, but I think I have an idea for making it work.

Len

Forum GOD!
Good feedback, thanks! I'll get my hands on some Feathers again and see what mods are needed. It'll be similar to the mods for getting a GEM into a OneBlade- cutting new notches. The tougher part will be dealing with the center hole, but I think I have an idea for making it work.
Really appreciate your responsiveness Shane! Do let us know if you come up with anything regarding the Feather.

Blackland Razors

Forum GOD!
Artisan
Really appreciate your responsiveness Shane! Do let us know if you come up with anything regarding the Feather.
Sure thing. The Feathers need to be notched in the same spot as the GEMs (right in front of the spine). Then the mid hole needs to be widened to just more than 5mm from front to back with the front being the cutting edge. If you have Feathers and GEMs on hand you can lay the GEM on top and trace the holes needed. Once I get some I'll be doing just that.

I'm not sure it will ultimately be worth it, particularly at the cost for Feathers, but there's no harm in sorting out how to do it.