Blackland razor

missingskin

Forum GOD!
I'm due my third shave today with the OC, I'm going to get 10 shaves under my belt before I decide on its future with respect to my den. Currently prefer the SB but using an Astra changed my opinion massively.
It will be interesting to see how this pans out @Nishy . How do you compare this to the Timeless O/C ?
Again this is one I am interested in, but if it is too close to the Timeless I will have to have a rethink .

Or I could sell the Timeless set and just buy an oxidised O/C Blackbird baseplate .........:p:

Last edited:

missingskin

Forum GOD!
Also does the extra polishing make any difference to the shave or is it just aesthetics ?

I should add I have Ver 1 Blackbird and rate it very highly ......... :)

Nishy

Forum GOD!
Staff member
It will be interesting to see how this pans out @Nishy . How do you compare this to the Timeless O/C ?
Again this is one I am interested in, but if it is too close to the Timeless I will have to have a rethink .
So far night and day. Timeless is excellent, superb, exemplary.
IMO here are a few of my impressions but again only 2 shaves in with the BB:
Audio feedback - Timeless is better
Lather flow / need to rinse the razor- Timeless is better
Balance- Timeless is better
Finish- Timeless is better
OC teeth feel - Timeless is better
Handle grip- Timeless is better
Blade chatter- no discernable difference
Cost- Blackbird is cheaper
Blade selection/reliance- Timeless works over a greater variety
Available plates/aggression manipulation - Timeless.

missingskin

Forum GOD!
As I say it is going to be interesting to see how this turns out and what the general opinions are of the O/C ......... shame as the SB version is so good !!

Nishy

Forum GOD!
Staff member
Also does the extra polishing make any difference to the shave or is it just aesthetics ?

I should add I have Ver 1 Blackbird and rate it very highly ......... :)
I also have a BB V. 1 oxide long handle. Just like yourself I really enjoy the razor. One of my top 5 and has been for some time. I did find the oxide to drag during its first 5-7 uses but once the patina developed the finish almost smoothed out further and drag was definitely reduced. I currently rate the SB well above the OC. One of the main disappointments for me (and this is personal) is the teeth, they are too angular, which isn't as comfortable as others. As this is the USP and is a constant, the SB looks like the better prospect to me.

I am hesitant only having used the OC twice, but will update the thread with more use.

Nishy

Forum GOD!
Staff member
3rd shave with the OC. Astra blade again and it was a lovely shave, a little closer, no irritation and the lather was being removed well through the comb. Managed to even do a little buffing around the chin. This was still an aggressive shave, plenty of blade feel, but definitely not a scratchy/irritating shave. Starting to better understand this razor. The polished finish has no drag.

OJ82

Forum GOD!
I just Love this razor, it's not a very smooth razor, and there's plenty of blade feel, but it just does a superb job, without any irrittation or discomfort at all, for me at least:happy: I do like the raw blade and steel that you feel from BB OC, and I think soap, blades and technique play an important part to get a great shave!

nvpliers

Forum GOD!
Reverse Shim

From what I’ve read around the shaving forums, there are some ready to sell their newly acquired Blackbirds. Others have discovered, through technique and experimentation, the optimum angle – which some are observing resides within a small window; that is, the “sweet spot” is rather small and difficult to find. If one shaves too shallow, they feel the top cap. If they shave too steep (the handle closer to the face), there is a risk of getting a “paint-scraper” effect.

Although I think it’s best for most to experiment and find that optimum angle, I went about it a different way, and I now enjoy very nice, smooth and close shaves – and with a much larger shaving angle “sweet-spot”.

I know this is kind of unorthodox but it worked for me. Some may even view this as hokey. But I figured I would throw it out there as an FYI.

I first cleaned the top-cap with 91% isopropyl alcohol, and thoroughly dried it. I then applied two very narrow strips of electrical tape, one on top of the other, length-wise on both sides of the underside of the top-cap, just before where the blade would daylight.

Reverse Shim 1.JPG

This “reverse shim” essentially provides some additional downward flex to the blade. As a result the blade gap and blade exposure is slightly reduced. It’s not a drastic change, but enough to make a difference. So by providing additional downward flex, you also slightly change the blade angle. In the pic the left side is unmodified, while the right side has the tape affixed to the underside of the top-cap.

Reverse Shim BB.JPG

Side note: I had to make sure that the tape was narrow enough to avoid getting too close to resting over the base-plate fulcrum. I found if you get too close or are on top of the fulcrum [when the head is assembled], the top cap actually rises upward, and that increases the gap, potentially making an even harsher shave. And I’m not sure how long the tape will remain affixed to the top-cap. For now, it’s on there pretty securely.

For me, this modification allowed me to steepen my shaving angle – and thus I was able to “get off the top-cap”, yet avoid any paint scraper harshness. The shave was close, and very smooth. I was even able to shave some trouble spots, like ATG under my nose. I was also able to “roll-over” some angular areas like ATG going from the neck to the chin.

I’m not downplaying technique or proper prep and lathering. These items all contribute. But for me, this rather quick fix has allowed me to freely add the BB to my rotation. I can shave without having to concentrate too much. I have NO thoughts of dealing the BB away. It’s a great razor. I enjoy it with my other stainless razors.

And again, I realize this approach sounds a bit strange, but I was in a tinkering mood, and for me – I was rewarded with a very nice shaver.

DevonStan

Forum GOD!
I do (still) have the polished version (in both open and closed varieties) and I did read the above "mod" and advice/suggestions.

The upshot of which is mine remains available on BST.

At this stage in (a) my life and (b) my DE shaving 'journey' I feel inclined to own exactly what suits me and my ugly mush and not have something that isn't perfect for me... I don't need to fiddle and faff to get it how I want it - to be honest I tried messing with the Feather AS-D2 and learned it's much easier to out it and find a razor you like better.

Having said that, I concede I've only used it a total of four times and if it doesn't sell then I suppose I'll be forced to get it out of the box again and hope I fall in love with it... but just at the moment I'd sooner it went to someone who wants one more than than I do.

Blackmass

Forum GOD!
Reverse Shim

From what I’ve read around the shaving forums, there are some ready to sell their newly acquired Blackbirds. Others have discovered, through technique and experimentation, the optimum angle – which some are observing resides within a small window; that is, the “sweet spot” is rather small and difficult to find. If one shaves too shallow, they feel the top cap. If they shave too steep (the handle closer to the face), there is a risk of getting a “paint-scraper” effect.

Although I think it’s best for most to experiment and find that optimum angle, I went about it a different way, and I now enjoy very nice, smooth and close shaves – and with a much larger shaving angle “sweet-spot”.

I know this is kind of unorthodox but it worked for me. Some may even view this as hokey. But I figured I would throw it out there as an FYI.

I first cleaned the top-cap with 91% isopropyl alcohol, and thoroughly dried it. I then applied two very narrow strips of electrical tape, one on top of the other, length-wise on both sides of the underside of the top-cap, just before where the blade would daylight.

View attachment 8792

This “reverse shim” essentially provides some additional downward flex to the blade. As a result the blade gap and blade exposure is slightly reduced. It’s not a drastic change, but enough to make a difference. So by providing additional downward flex, you also slightly change the blade angle. In the pic the left side is unmodified, while the right side has the tape affixed to the underside of the top-cap.

View attachment 8793

Side note: I had to make sure that the tape was narrow enough to avoid getting too close to resting over the base-plate fulcrum. I found if you get too close or are on top of the fulcrum [when the head is assembled], the top cap actually rises upward, and that increases the gap, potentially making an even harsher shave. And I’m not sure how long the tape will remain affixed to the top-cap. For now, it’s on there pretty securely.

For me, this modification allowed me to steepen my shaving angle – and thus I was able to “get off the top-cap”, yet avoid any paint scraper harshness. The shave was close, and very smooth. I was even able to shave some trouble spots, like ATG under my nose. I was also able to “roll-over” some angular areas like ATG going from the neck to the chin.

I’m not downplaying technique or proper prep and lathering. These items all contribute. But for me, this rather quick fix has allowed me to freely add the BB to my rotation. I can shave without having to concentrate too much. I have NO thoughts of dealing the BB away. It’s a great razor. I enjoy it with my other stainless razors.

And again, I realize this approach sounds a bit strange, but I was in a tinkering mood, and for me – I was rewarded with a very nice shaver.

Whatever works for but I don’t think you should have to ‘shim’/bodge a £200.00 razor.

I’ve sold mine last week to another member. I’d given both plates a fair go but I just couldn’t get on with them. It’s a beautiful looking object (without the tape on it:p:) but it’s meant to be a razor not an ornament.

Last edited:

halvor

a most elusive fish
Whatever works for but I don’t think you should have to ‘shim’/bodge a £200.00 razor.

I’ve sold mine last week to another member. I’d giving both plates a fair go but I just couldn’t get on with them. It’s a beautiful looking object (without the tape on it:p:) but it’s meant to be a razor not an ornament.
We'll see if I fare any better, Rob :)