Blackland razor

halvor

a most elusive fish
Some serious mulling going on here. I certainly don't need one, but I do want one... I'm not a blingbling magpie, generally and are usually perfectly happy with machined finish, aesthetically speaking. However, the question is if the additional $30 are worth it thanks to less drag? What's the experience, gentlemen?

Also, Rob @Blackmass, you were thinking to send yours back for polishing. Your issue was with the sharp corners/edges, right? So has Shane said that polishing will help in that department too?

Blackmass

Forum GOD!
Some serious mulling going on here. I certainly don't need one, but I do want one... I'm not a blingbling magpie, generally and are usually perfectly happy with machined finish, aesthetically speaking. However, the question is if the additional $30 are worth it thanks to less drag? What's the experience, gentlemen?

Also, Rob @Blackmass, you were thinking to send yours back for polishing. Your issue was with the sharp corners/edges, right? So has Shane said that polishing will help in that department too?
Hi Halvor, I spoke with Shane on Wednesday and I’ll paste his emails below.

Email 1: That's not a problem at all. Please be aware that we currently back ordered for polishing so it will likely be a couple weeks before your razor would be completed. If that's okay you can send your razor to the address below. The charge to polish your razor will be $30, but we'll extend to you the pre-order rate of $25.5.

You might also consider using a shallower angle with the Blackbird. The razor was designed such that the leading edge of the base plate shouldn't be felt against the skin. If the teeth of the open comb are pressing into your skin then it's likely that using a shallow angle with the top cap more against the skin will remedy that.

Email 2: That sounds great. We'd be happy to polish it for you, but I don't think you'll find that polishing drastically alters those features. There is certainly some softening of those angular parts during polishing. However, the softening or rounding is kept to a minimum.

I will try changing the shaving angle as Shane suggests. I’ve also ‘borrowed’ a sheet of ‘wet and dry’ sandpaper from work to take off the sharp edges, it shouldn’t take much elbow grease to tame them. If I’m still not happy I’ll send it back.

Hope this helps?

Cheers
Rob

p.b

Forum GOD!
I polished my own Machined finish head and base-plate and I don't think there's much difference in drag between the two.

The big difference for me was increasing the angle (lifting the handle.)

OJ82

Forum GOD!
20170106_152111.jpg

My first shave and thoughts on the Blackbird Oc.

I'm not much of a reviewer, so this is only my thought on the BB Oc.

I will start saying that this is a serious Razor:) It is or feels more agressive then the solid bar and is more efficient too, but not in a bad way!
I've had a 3 days of growth on my face and head, and it just did a Superb job of removing the stubble! I did pay a good amount of attention when shaving with it, and it rewarded me with a super close and comfortable shave. I just feel so fresh and cleen right now:happy:
For me the BB is a superb Razor and I think I like the Oc better then the Sb, but I need some more shaves with it to decide......
I am Definitely realy happy with the Oc and have to say that the wait was Worth it!!

Last edited:

halvor

a most elusive fish
View attachment 6576

I will start saying that this is a serious Razor:) It is or feels more agressive then the solid bar and is more efficient too, but not in a bad way!
I've had a 3 days of growth on my face and head, and it just did a Superb job of removing the stubble! I did pay a good amount of attention when shaving with it, and it rewarded me with a super close and comfortable shave. I just feel so fresh and cleen right now:happy:
Fror me the BB is a superb Razor and I think I like the Oc better then the Sb, but I need some more shaves with it to decide......
I am Definitely realy happy with the Oc and have to say that the wait was Worth it!!
And an 'after shave' in the same sense as 'after ski', I note :wink: Weiss of some sort?

Boojum1

Cosmic Cowboy
View attachment 6576

For me the BB is a superb Razor and I think I like the Oc better then the Sb, but I need some more shaves with it to decide......
Good to hear about the OC. :thumbsup: Still waiting on my Polished OC head.

Nishy

Forum GOD!
Staff member
In terms of face feel, given that the blade is held super tight, what is the closest OC type head that you would associate the BB OC too, feel more of the teeth edge than the blade?
Is it 'teethy' like the R2 and Wolfman OC, where you feel more of the teeth edges than the blade on the face? Usually being more angular in shape. Or is it smooth like the Timeless?

View attachment 6576

Lovely picture! Do you like Nøgne Ø? That's my favourite Norwegian Beer:wub:

OJ82

Forum GOD!
In terms of face feel, given that the blade is held super tight, what is the closest OC type head that you would associate the BB OC too, feel more of the teeth edge than the blade?
Is it 'teethy' like the R2 and Wolfman OC, where you feel more of the teeth edges than the blade on the face? Usually being more angular in shape. Or is it smooth like the Timeless?
I only have two OC, the Timeless oc .68 and BB OC.
It's not as smooth as the Timeless, that's for sure. But, the thing is, that it just cuts the stubble So easy and So closely!
You do feel the blade on your face, but I like the feel of the OC better than the SB, it feels like it's less drag. I shave with a steeper angle so I didn't have any problem with the sharp teeth on the OC, I felt the blade more..... I would describe it as Serious shaving tool that you need to master, and it will give you a Superb close, but still comfortable shave:happy:
I have to say it Is better than the SB, a bit more agressive/efficient, and Lord, it is Good:happy:
That's just what I think:)

Last edited: