Best soap made for wooden bowl

halvor

a most elusive fish
Thanks for good input! I bid (bidded?) for a Sartorial refill on that auction site and won, so it's heading my way soon. It might fit the bowl and might not, but I sure will use it regardless!

Last edited:

halvor

a most elusive fish
I can confirm that Penhaligon’s Sartorial soap refill is a perfect match for the C&E wooden bowl :D Once again, thanks for all input! I note that Pen soaps too have gone through reformulations, this one being of the good type, allegedly, as the ingredients list starts with potassium palmate.

5B9AC030-32D7-44CA-AD80-B456133FD4B1.jpeg

Note to self: plastic off before use...

p.b

Forum GOD!
I can confirm that Penhaligon’s Sartorial soap refill is a perfect match for the C&E wooden bowl :D Once again, thanks for all input! I note that Pen soaps too have gone through reformulations, this one being of the good type, allegedly, as the ingredients list starts with potassium palmate.

View attachment 17572
Note to self: plastic off before use...
I like this soap - the performance and scent are both outstanding.

Gordy

Legendary Member
Certainly not Craptree & Effluent or Geo. F'ing Trumpers! I tried everything to get lather out of both of these and just couldn't. When I thought I'd got close, the stability was terrible. The Trumper's is also the only soap I've used that irritated the hell out of me.
I contacted Trumper's with regard to this, in the proper manner, I wasn't rude or anything, the complete opposite in fact. The letter I recieved beggared belief. They told me they had read through all the comments about them online and came to the conclusion that they were all from "malicious trolls". They wanted the soap back for testing but I took it no further and stated very reasonably how I felt about her reply. She never gave me the address to send it in anyway. I'll never buy another Trumper's product as long as I live.

Dr Watson

James
Have you had opportunity to give it a try yet Halvor? Im seriously close to pressing the button on some Pens soap, I'm a sucker for a nice wooden bowl...

halvor

a most elusive fish
Have you had opportunity to give it a try yet Halvor? Im seriously close to pressing the button on some Pens soap, I'm a sucker for a nice wooden bowl...
Been hoarding soap lately and started my B&M week on Monday, so only one, two(?) tries thus far. With the proviso that I may still have yet to nail it down in loading amount and water to soap ratio: it wasn't fully up to the standards set by the top performers. Lovely scent. I fear it won't be my go-to, but will certainly give it more time and latherings before writing it off.

Dr Watson

James
Been hoarding soap lately and started my B&M week on Monday, so only one, two(?) tries thus far. With the proviso that I may still have yet to nail it down in loading amount and water to soap ratio: it wasn't fully up to the standards set by the top performers. Lovely scent. I fear it won't be my go-to, but will certainly give it more time and latherings before writing it off.
Thanks for that, it's a pity they couldn't/didn't use something like the Valobra or DR Harris base with their own scents... If it had to be tallow free the SV base would have done... That would have been perfect (wishful thinking I know...)

At least it usable, unlike the C&E :okay:

halvor

a most elusive fish
Thanks for that, it's a pity they couldn't/didn't use something like the Valobra or DR Harris base with their own scents... If it had to be tallow free the SV base would have done... That would have been perfect (wishful thinking I know...)

At least it usable, unlike the C&E :okay:
Suppose that, if you want to go for a fancy English soap, C&S is the thing. Doesn't help you with the wooden bowl, I know.

Dr Watson

James
That's alright, I'm on a Penhaligon's binge at the moment. I'll try to pick some up on eBay... No chance am I paying RRP :happy:

Just have check the ingredient lists, as far as I know only BB & EF were produced in the dud formula, Bayolea and Sartorial are safe buys.

halvor

a most elusive fish
Yup, this. You beat me to it,
Don't you find the things spin around in the bowls?
A bit late here, but the answer is no, it doesn’t. After the first lathering it sticks. Over time I can’t see how the bowl can last, but that’s a long-term thing.

halvor

a most elusive fish
That's alright, I'm on a Penhaligon's binge at the moment. I'll try to pick some up on eBay... No chance am I paying RRP :happy:

Just have check the ingredient lists, as far as I know only BB & EF were produced in the dud formula, Bayolea and Sartorial are safe buys.
The Sartorial is miles ahead of the Craptree in Gordy’s terms, yes, so it is the right formula.

Oh, another related thing, have you tried the balm from Pen’s by any chance?

Dr Watson

James
Oh, another related thing, have you tried the balm from Pen’s by any chance?
Not yet, though I have read scent strength is relatively strong for a balm so does linger a bit, no idea on actual healing/soothing properties but looking at the ingredient list they dont look the most natural and contain parabens but I'm no expert.

Water, Aloe Babadensis (Aloe Vera) Gel, Cyclopentasiloxane, C12-15 Alkyl Benzoate, Squalane, Cetyl Alcohol, Glycerin, Isohexadecane, Fragance, Cyclohexasiloxane, Glyceryl Stearate, Shea Butter, Tocopheryl Acetate, Bisabolol, Myristyl Myristate, PEG-100 Stearate, Phenoxyethanol, Limonene, Cabome, Ceteareth-20, Retinyl Pamitate, Linalool, Sodium Benzoate, Methyparaben, Propylparaben, Sodium Hydroxide, Allantoin, Citral, Disodium EDTA, Tocopherol, Geraniol, Hydroxcitronellal, Oakmoss Extract, Treesmoss Extract, Citronellol, Benzyl Alcohol, Benzyl Benzoate, Potassium Sorbate, Citric Acid.[/]