Benefits and difference between SE and DE

chinski

Forum GOD!
just wondered what benefits come from SE and DE is it just the matter of preference?

I assume different blades are required. Any info would be welcome. Thanks.

LeeBot

Forum GOD!
The main difference is that a SE razor uses a blade with a single cutting edge & a DE razor uses a blade with two cutting edges so different blades are required.

SE blade on the left - DE blade on the right
GEM_SE_BLADE.jpg

Performance wise I'd say it's simply a matter of preference. There's a case to be had that the SE gives the more aggressive shave of the two but given that there are a huge number of different models of razor and blade available it's difficult to validate this with any real certainty.
With a DE you can flip the razor round to the other edge and as such reduce the number of rinses of the razor during the shave. In my experience SE blades tend to last longer than their DE counterparts.

Apologies if any of this sounds condescending but I don't know how much or little you know about it:happy:

pjgh

Forum GOD!
Absolutely! Both are seethingly sharp and both cut hair. It's how the weight and rigidity of the blade suits people's faces ...

Yes, double edge blades do seem to have a more fragile edge and dullness is often experienced by the third shave. Given the price, some folks only use a DE blade once anyway. Single edge blades like the GEM can go on for a good 7 or more shaves, often not expiring until after 10 ... but again, given price and how nice a new blade feels, folks tend to ditch at around 5-7 shaves.

It's the feeling that is the key difference ...

With DE blades, the razor makes all the difference. Blade gap and blade exposure provided by the razor do more for the different types of shave than the blade, I think. Others will disagree. With single edge, the blade is quite rigid and so the razor is really only there to hold the blade and the guard rarely comes into play only stopping you from doing anything really stupid. With DE razors, the guard is quite an integral part of the shave, indicating a good angle.

Single edge is the natural descendent of straight edge ...

The first safety razors were "wedge" holders; an inch and a half length of straight razor, held in some form of contraption - early ones often nicknamed Pig Scrapers. As they became more refined, all manner of wonderful designs were seen. Really quite quickly, the thinner single edge blade came about ... as early as the turn of the 1900s. That form remains today, albeit ever so slightly slimmer.

Jump into the passarounds and find a single edge to try. Good fun! I found them quite early on in my journey into traditional shaving and didn't look back! I do enjoy a DE shave every now and again, vintage British Gillette and Star/Personna being my favourites. For single edge, it's the mighty 1912 ... easy to search for.

Nishy

Forum GOD!
Staff member
I haven't found a huge difference exists between the newer stainless DE razors and SE options. I find the newer stainless DE razors to hold the blade so firmly that flex is hardly noticeable. This used to be an issue with other DE razors, especially when shaving on the neck with varied directional growth. Blade chatter would end up causing small blood spots. SE razors having a thicker blade don't cause the same issue, however in retrospect I find stainless SE razors too heavy for the already robust blade. I currently prefer the artist style blades to GEM, however, I am relatively inexperienced with GEM blades.

jar

Rollin Tumblin
Five tips: Prep - Chinese Schick blade - Angle - Angle - NO PRESSURE
The top of the head should be pretty much parallel to the face
No idea where the blades were made or even how to tell where they were made.

What different Prep is needed for this beast?

And yes, the angle really is strange and takes getting used to.

sɐǝɹpu∀

riverrun
No idea where the blades were made or even how to tell where they were made.

What different Prep is needed for this beast?

And yes, the angle really is strange and takes getting used to.
Post a picture of the blade clip and many people will tell you what they are - mind you: any modern blade should do
Prep - as always - needs to be good
Angle - think about the blade, not the handle
And one more tip: Change the blade carefully. Make sure you don't run it across the blade stops. How could I forget?
And NO PRESSURE. Of course.

pjgh

Forum GOD!
Just tried my first SE (Schick Injector J1) last night. Jury still out.
Huh! That's not a single edge razor ... that's a cartridge prototype! Huh! :P

... indeed, Chinese Schick blade and just let it happen. It'll be smooth. Very smooth ... and so you'll have to pay attention to find the angle.

pjgh

Forum GOD!
May not be the earliest one, but doesn't Billy have one of these razors and blades meant to be honed - which he also does? @Billyfergie
He will have, I'm sure ... that format remained popular in Europe for many more years. You'll find wedge holders, particularly in France, Germany also, Sweden too with their mighty Heljestrand set.

By pig scraper I was thinking of one of these:

jar

Rollin Tumblin
Post a picture of the blade clip and many people will tell you what they are - mind you: any modern blade should do
Prep - as always - needs to be good
Angle - think about the blade, not the handle
And one more tip: Change the blade carefully. Make sure you don't run it across the blade stops. How could I forget?
And NO PRESSURE. Of course.
For prep, I always started with a large bonfire, two chickens and a goat. However I now live in an Old Folks Community where such rituals are frowned upon except during the Full Moon. Mayhaps you know a more recent ecumenical ritual.

"Angle - think about the blade, not the handle" doesn't seem to have a meaning. Perhaps you can describe it differently..

In a "J" series I'm not at all sure how how you can avoid anything...it seems to position the magazine pretty solidly.

With over a half century of shaving with double edge razors I generally use no pressure.

I think I will miss the dancing and music and singing as well as the chickens and cabrito though.