Bay Rum... (again)

DevonStan

Forum GOD!
Prompted by (a) receipt of Big Boar's sample of his home made gear a few weeks ago, and (b) a shave using OSP Bay Rum soap today, I'm afraid I'm resurrecting this topic yet again.

Went into Boots last week to re-visit their £2.99 Bay Rum. At that price you can't expect a lot - and indeed having mischieviously opened a bottle out of the range of the store security regime, that's what I smelt .... not a lot.

Big Boar hasn't visited here for quite a while and hasn't answered my recent PM. Hopefully he's OK and will return when time permits. So hopes of further supplies (available to buy from him this time) are on hold. And the fella, Sunbury Steve, who made legendary stuff on TSR a few years ago is clearly well and truly gone but not forgotten.

I can't raise the enthusiasm to remind myself what ingredients are required to do it yourself and I would far sooner buy something ready made rather than wait months for it to mature. Maybe I need to change that.

I want the Bay Rum smell... but I want it strong and long lasting.

Is Pashana American Bay Rum Hair Tonic what's needed? Certainly the standard Pashana stinks all day... just a pity I don't like it.

Is Ogallala what I want? And where from? Can I trust Maguires Barbershop after all the bad experiences posted?

Clearly the US is better served and a wider choice available. But I'm not emigrating there just to smell of Bay Rum.

What about Pinaud Bay Rum? I have the Special Reserve and it's good but it's not Bay Rum.

Benjamins? It's so cheap it can't be any good?

There are plenty products that include the magic words but I suspect few will fulfill my need for strength and longevity.

Firm suggestions please.

p.b

Forum GOD!
Krampert's for me. it's lovely but only available via Italian Barber at high shipping costs.

BlacknTan

Forum GOD!
I run hot and cold on Bay Rum... Lately I'm liking it, and the best Bay Rum to my taste is the Ogallala Limes & Peppercorns. It lasts (on me), is not overstated, and has a great face feel with the addition of Witch Hazel.

DevonStan

Forum GOD!
All rcvd. with thanks. Where does the Ogallala come from bearing in mind what I referred to above?

Obviously I need to get the Pinaud and look to see how horrendous the cost of receiving Kramperts is.

DevonStan

Forum GOD!
If I read it right that's around £20 postage for the Kramperts from Italian Barber, whilst the 4 ounce bottle is just over £12. Ouch.

UKRob

Forum GOD!
Stan, a serious suggestion - take a look at the same posts on TSR and pick up a recipe to make it yourself. If I remember correctly, there are not too many ingredients, it's more a case of brew it up and leave to stew for a while. Sunbury Steve made some that was popular as @Gairdner will testify, but its popularity was enhanced by the waiting time.

DevonStan

Forum GOD!
Stan, a serious suggestion - take a look at the same posts on TSR and pick up a recipe to make it yourself. If I remember correctly, there are not too many ingredients, it's more a case of brew it up and leave to stew for a while. Sunbury Steve made some that was popular as @Gairdner will testify, but its popularity was enhanced by the waiting time.
I think I was starting to wonder about that. Big Boar's homemade stuff is nice. Not overpoweringly strong or mega long lasting but a lovely texture and feel. I think I saw a mention of what he puts in it either here on on TSR - I'll have to look further. I did send Sunbury Steve a PM a while ago but no response. I was looking at one or two related TSR posts earlier. I guess the sky's the limit and I could add it to my rudimentary Frankenoil which I get on well with, albeit no two mixes are the same but there's always plenty menthol in it.... so combining the oil and the BR might be interesting.

Prompted by (a) receipt of Big Boar's sample of his home made gear a few weeks ago, and (b) a shave using OSP Bay Rum soap today, I'm afraid I'm resurrecting this topic yet again.

Went into Boots last week to re-visit their £2.99 Bay Rum. At that price you can't expect a lot - and indeed having mischieviously opened a bottle out of the range of the store security regime, that's what I smelt .... not a lot.

Big Boar hasn't visited here for quite a while and hasn't answered my recent PM. Hopefully he's OK and will return when time permits. So hopes of further supplies (available to buy from him this time) are on hold. And the fella, Sunbury Steve, who made legendary stuff on TSR a few years ago is clearly well and truly gone but not forgotten.

I can't raise the enthusiasm to remind myself what ingredients are required to do it yourself and I would far sooner buy something ready made rather than wait months for it to mature. Maybe I need to change that.

I want the Bay Rum smell... but I want it strong and long lasting.

Is Pashana American Bay Rum Hair Tonic what's needed? Certainly the standard Pashana stinks all day... just a pity I don't like it.

Is Ogallala what I want? And where from? Can I trust Maguires Barbershop after all the bad experiences posted?

Clearly the US is better served and a wider choice available. But I'm not emigrating there just to smell of Bay Rum.

What about Pinaud Bay Rum? I have the Special Reserve and it's good but it's not Bay Rum.

Benjamins? It's so cheap it can't be any good?

There are plenty products that include the magic words but I suspect few will fulfill my need for strength and longevity.

Firm suggestions please.
Bello bay rum

Gairdner

Forum GOD!
Layrite No.9 is the closest scent to Sunburyboy's legendary potion and is available via Amazon, ebay and possibly The English Shaving Company as I received an email recently about them adding Layrite to their product line-up. Whether or not they carry the bay rum, I cannot confirm.