1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Barbaros TR-2 V Pils 101

Discussion in 'Double Edge Safety Razors (DE)' started by chinski, May 18, 2017.

1. chinski

chinski Senior Member

Advice and opinions required on the above razors. I current own a Feather AS-D2 and a Timeless 0.68.

I looking to maybe increase my collection with on other razor possibly one of the above? I have read and seen good reviews on both along with some negatives but I want to understand people opinions and views before I make an investment.

Feel free to give honest opinions.

Thanks in advance.

2. Nishy

Nishy Guru Staff Member

PILS for me, a lovely level of face feel/aggression. More efficient. In fact after one pass this is one of the most efficient razors I own and its not even OC. Finally aesthetically speaking I prefer the PILS. It is close though as the TR-2 is beautiful. Both are balanced superbly, the PILS at the centre point of the head and the TR-2 to the centre of the handle. Finally the PILS is designed to not let any water into the main body, a truly functional masterpiece IMO.

Acer89 and Nico1970 like this.
  3. Rowlers

Rowlers Massive Member Staff Member

Just to completely F*** you up, I would say the exact opposite! Apart from the looks department, the PILS still wins hands downs..

bakerbarber and Acer89 like this.
  4. halvor

halvor Royal Member

Unless my brain has gone on holiday, I'm not sure you were that contrarian there, Mr Rowlers? Nishy says PILS and so do you?

Godfather and efsk like this.
  5. Godfather

Godfather Veteran

you can't beat Norwegian logic!

6. Rowlers

No, my English could have been better... The Barbados is hands down the better shaver, the Pils is simply far, far better looking...

Acer89 and Nishy like this.
  7. chinski

chinski Senior Member

I've placed an ad on another forum for the Barbaros. I'll place an ad on here over the weekend for the Pils. I dont think there's much chance of getting either but who knows?

I guess the idea is to get both and sell one or both????

I'll let you know if I'm lucky enough to locate one.

Nishy likes this.
  8. Nishy

Nishy Guru Staff Member

Lee is this in relation to the TR-2 or 1?

Acer89 likes this.
  9. Rowlers

TR-1, but as far as I know the "aggression" is the same...

Nishy likes this.
  10. Number Six

Number Six Veteran

I've always enjoyed shaving with the PILS but never thought of it as being efficient. I use it when I don't want any irritation, or that I may shave again in less than 24 hours. Different strokes!

bakerbarber and Nishy like this.
  11. Nishy

Nishy Guru Staff Member

A perfect example of YMMV. I can complete one pass with the PILS on a 5 day growth and walk away DFS. I think it is the most efficient SB I have.

Celar36, halvor and Rowlers like this.
  12. Nico1970

Nico1970 Guru Staff Member

I haven't tried the Barbaros TR-2 but I do have the TR-1. For me, it is absolutely not a mild razor at all - which leads me to believe that quality control is not what it should be, given the disparity between what a number of folk are reporting!

The PILS is in a different league, nay, it's on a completely different planet. IMO, it is one of the finest DE razors that money can buy - the engineering, the quality and simply the experience of its shave are all quite superb. It is a razor that just gets better the more you use it.

Acer89, Nishy, halvor and 2 others like this.
  13. Slant_Fan

Slant_Fan Senior Member

No experience with the Barbados, but I do have a Pils, and I like it. It is more efficient than my AS-D2, but not as 'aggressive' as a Timeless with a 68mm blade gap. I'd say for me it is more as @Number Six described. If I feel like a milder shave, with one days growth, the Pils is my go to DE. I'd also say it is a beautiful piece of workmanship, and worth owning just for that.

Nico1970 likes this.
  14. celestino

celestino Veteran

Wow! Another great example of YMMV. I used to have two of them and I just found it to be a fairly mild shaver, along with it being top(head)-heavy.
    Having said this, I would love to try one, again, to see if things are different as I have much more experience, now. :blush:

Nishy and Nico1970 like this.
  15. chris.hale

chris.hale Über Member

PILS on the way, PILS on the way... :D

Nishy and Rowlers like this.