Attar عطار

pjgh

Forum GOD!
... that one would appear to be a regular chemical perfume concoction as you'd find in any Occidental perfume in carrier oil: DPG, here. Yeah, this is a good example of category 1, a CPO.

Nishy

Forum GOD!
Staff member
Paul quick question, I received Spice bomb by Perfume Parlour. Now as a single note it smells of Active dry cough. No definite spice more, aniseed and almost plum/syrup.

Question is, which other attar would you mix with this? It is already quite sweet but projection is low.

pjgh

Forum GOD!
Paul quick question, I received Spice bomb by Perfume Parlour. Now as a single note it smells of Active dry cough. No definite spice more, aniseed and almost plum/syrup.

Question is, which other attar would you mix with this? It is already quite sweet but projection is low.
Tough call ...

To do what? Make it more like Spice Bomb or just get some spice into it. It sounds like a solid balsamic presence, so how about Haramain Safa? You'll get the light leather, saffron, pepper, cinnamon, some florals and a light citric edge. Beefing that up with the resinous elemi that you have it might just work ... I don't recall Spice Bomb (the frag) as being especially musky, it's dusty: suede leather and saffron, dusty spices.

Alternatively, as a sweet balsamic resin it will lend a real depth to just about anything predominantly floral or predominantly woody, or both. Remember the pyramid? Musk & Woods, some amber, patchouli, some florals, perhaps spice. It will round out pretty much any other oil you blend it with, bringing a fullness otherwise lacking where one this predominates.

Nishy

Forum GOD!
Staff member
Yep essentially to make it more like spice bomb, but mainly to tame the syrup and aniseed notes. I was looking at wood, leather and cumin, perhaps the addition of black musk to cut through the aniseed. I know it's going to be somewhat trial and error but will definitely go back to the pyramid and have a closer look. Do you know of any 'sour' attars? Thinking lime peel and patchouli?

pjgh

Forum GOD!
Yep essentially to make it more like spice bomb, but mainly to tame the syrup and aniseed notes. I was looking at wood, leather and cumin, perhaps the addition of black musk to cut through the aniseed. I know it's going to be somewhat trial and error but will definitely go back to the pyramid and have a closer look. Do you know of any 'sour' attars? Thinking lime peel and patchouli?
Saffron always comes across as sour and leathery ... maybe one of the more feminine spicy, saffron oils? Nemat's Shahi Kausar springs to mind. Couple that with the Spice Bomb and drop a note of black musk and or oudh oil straight. Hajre Aswad is a bitter rose, still quite resinous.

pjgh

Forum GOD!
I found the outer box that my Al Rehab Superman came in: "Butylphenol Methyl ,Benzyl Benzoate, Benzyl Salicylate, Cinnamal, Citral, Citronellol, Coumerin, Eugenol, Geraniol, Isoeugenol, Limolene & Linolool" ... so, a perfect example of category 1 containing all the usual you'd expect to see in western frags or even soap. Simply, a perfume oil. Add alcohol and drop it in a spritzer, you've got an EDT.

pjgh

Forum GOD!
Today, it's Fragrance of Arabia's Mukhallat Molook: "a near representation of a famous mukhallat of the same name by a truly legendary Oman perfume house: Taifi Rose, Cambodian Oudh, Hindi Oud & Ambergris".

pjgh

Forum GOD!
Today, it's Al Haramain's Attar Kaaba - Rose, Amber, Oudh & Sandalwood ... fancy packaging, although I got a 3ml vial.

Nishy

Forum GOD!
Staff member
Mixed three attars this evening all from perfume parlour. Firstly Tom Ford Oud Wood (base) Givenchy blue (sweet) and black musk. This black musk is still too intense, can't find anything to take off that urea like scent. Other two are too sweet together for me. May try the Majmua with the musk

pjgh

Forum GOD!
Not bad ... I'm enjoying a drop of Festimusk after a smashing cup of Assam after a smashing shave which finished with Puig Quorum aftershave. Earthy.

Nishy

Forum GOD!
Staff member
Not bad ... I'm enjoying a drop of Festimusk after a smashing cup of Assam after a smashing shave which finished with Puig Quorum aftershave. Earthy.
Sounds like the perfect way to close the day

pjgh

Forum GOD!
Sounds like the perfect way to close the day
Yeah, I've been enjoying good tea with a drop of new highbrow oudhs of late. Tonight, Festimusk just felt right. It's a wonderful scent - I had to get it from India. It's like black musk in some ways, but has all manner of spice in there as well.

Last edited:

Nishy

Forum GOD!
Staff member
It's a strange old game, been on my wrists for around 2 hours, lack musk has reduced in presence. Now I am enjoying that earthy sandalwood from the black musk, but mixed with the sweet Givenchy and TF.

Two attars that I'm searching for are an Oud without rose, perhaps even with lime peel and saffron. Also a sandalwood without smoke and rose. Don't mind it with other wet woods, musk or vetiver.