Completed Asylum RX - Finished.

sɐǝɹpu∀

riverrun
Shave #2
There was enough stubble on my face this morning to justify a shave. While the Asylum RX did a very good job yesterday, there are other razors that give me a longer lasting shave. The Bunny V3 for example.
The second shave with the Asylum RX went without drama. I didn't even re-open the cut I inflicted on myself yesterday. The Feather Pro blade was as sharp as it was yesterday, but I used utmost caution and absolutely NO PRESSURE to good effect.
I'm still struggling to like the width of the head. Not much that can be done about that when using Feather AC style blades. This is what I had to say about the head of the Cobra Classic:
You could shave the inside of your nose with it.
I don't think you could do this with the Asylum RX, so I'm even more convinced that the head of the Cobra is slimmer.
Four standard passes and I'm certainly clean shaven. Smooth all over with no blood loss and irritation free. Alum block and ASL have not much to say about the shave. Just how it should be.
Another thing I noticed is how easily the razor cleans. A quick rinse under water and a wipe on a towel and the razor looks as good as new. It's almost Teflon coated. :D
I'll probably use another blade tomorrow. Not sure which one. Suggestions? Too much choice! I might keep the used Pro blade, cut it down and use it in one of my injectors.
TBC…

Last edited:

sɐǝɹpu∀

riverrun
Another note on blades

@Paul was kind enough to include a total of 106 blades with the razor. Given that they are around a quid each, that's very generous. Thanks, Paul.
I'd like the guys on the pass around to keep track of how many blades of each type are left.
To make that task easy, I'll include a sheet of paper. For every blade you remove from a holder, please cross out a circle on the sheet of paper. Just like this:

Thank you.

Last edited:

sɐǝɹpu∀

riverrun
The pass around is now limited to 26 ladies and gentlemen.

1. sɐǝɹpu∀ / riverrun (ATG/TSR)
  2. Nishy (ATG)
  3. rowlers (ATG)
  4. globalm (TSR)
  5. Nico1970 (ATG)
  6. Looney12345 (ATG/TSR)
  7. Acer89 (ATG)
  8. MrK1 (TSR)
  9. MikeyJ (TSR)
  10. Fuzzyian (TSR)
  11. Dogsmro (ATG/TSR)
  12. Mr Bigmem (ATG/TSR)
  13. p.b (ATG)
  14. Blademonkey (TSR)
  15. MPH (TSR)
  16. Burgundy (ATG)
  17. Wayne (ATG)
  18. AlexNoodles (ATG)
  19. Chico Winterton (ATG)
  20. barber bear (TSR)
The list is open.
Legend: Currently with, On the way to, Waiting, Completed

Looney12345

Forum GOD!
Another note on blades

@Paul was kind enough to include a total of 106 blades with the razor. Given that they are around a quid each, that's very generous. Thanks, Paul.
I'd like the guys on the pass around to keep track of how many blades of each type are left.
To make that task easy, I'll include a sheet of paper. For every blade you remove from a holder, please cross out a circle on the sheet of paper. Just like this:

Thank you.
Very generous indeed @Paul thank you.

JamieM

Extreme sharpness is ephemeral!
The Asylum RX looks like a fantastic piece of kit I have a few friends who own the razor I may have to pull the triggger on that one from Phil at Bullgoose, here's what a good friend of mine from the US had to say about the razor.

Hello Jamie,
Phil at BullGoose said he should have another 50 in a week to 10 days. There isn't a waiting list, and you shouldn't need one if you check his site or the Asylum RX thread every day. He had hoped to get 300 initially, but they've only been supplying him with 50 at a time. However, he should continue to get them in.
I've only shaved with it a couple of times. The head design is similar to a Cobra, but the overall geometry with the handle is more similar to the King Cobra than the Cobra Classic. The shave is similar, if you've used a Cobra, only I think it's a little smoother and gives a closer shave.
I like this razor much better than the Mongoose, although I'm sure others would say the opposite. I just didn't care for the wider head, and felt a lot of drag while shaving, and my shaves weren't as comfortable as I would have liked. I purchased one twice, and sold it after a few shaves each time. I just prefer the thinner head on the Cobra, and now the RX.
I do not have a heavy beard, and have always favored a mild razor but with a sharp blade, generally a Feather. Although the Cobra and Rx would be considered a mild razor in terms of an SR, they are not mild when compared to a DE. After using DE's for over 50 years, I tried a Cobra, then sold all my DE's and only shaved with a Cobra for the next year or so, until I tried a straight three years ago. My thinking, which probably wasn't accurate, was that if I was using the same blade in the Cobra as others are using in a Shavette, I should be able to use a straight.
The Rx is heavier than the Cobra since it's stainless steel. I also think that it might be a little heavier than the first Mongoose, if I'm remembering correctly. However, I prefer heavier DE's and SE's, and find it easier to let gravity pull the razor down with little pressure. The handle is solid and very easy to hold. I find the 83mm a perfect length, and often like a little longer handle, and was surprised when someone thought it was too long. The blades are relatively easy to change, compared to a Cobra and Mongoose.
I haven't tried the SR's that came out after the Mongoose. Many people seem to like Above The Tie, although I've read that it's a little more aggressive than a Cobra, and might not be too my liking, and I read positive comments about some of the others. I've been perfectly happy using the Cobra once or twice a month, when I was too rushed in the morning to use a straight, or just wanted a change. I mostly purchased the Rx because I know that Phil has been working on it for so long, and I wanted to show support. I'm now very happy that I did, as I'll be using it instead of my favorite Cobra.
I agree with everything that Ravi said about it in his recent review in the Rx thread. Ravi does have a very heavy beard, on the other end of the spectrum from my beard, so I'm optimistic that most people would enjoy it.

JamieM

Just a word of warning the razor wasn't designed to be used with the Feather super Pro blades works perfectly well with the Feather Pro blades though, the Feather super Pro stick and can cause slight damage to the razor.

JamieM

There are some great reviews of the razor by some very well respected impartial members of the ShaveNook with decades of experience under their belts.

sɐǝɹpu∀

riverrun
Shave #3
Due to time constraints it's time to change blades. The Feather Pro blade will be cut down to size and used in one of my Schick injectors.
My thoughts about the blades available:
I have tried all the Feather blades in other razors. The Pro is, as expected, sharp. The Pro Super is just like a Pro, but wider with more exposure in Feather AC razors. The Asylum hasn't been designed to take it and although it is possible, I don't see why I should use it.
The ProGuard has little wire 'guards' across the blade edge. I might use it (or the KAI Protouch MG) later on.
I haven't used any of the KAI blades and I've heard good things about the Kai Captain Titan Mild. It's said to be slightly less sharp, but smoother than the Feather Pro. Sounds interesting, so that's the blade I'll use.
I'll keep it brief:
The Asylum RX doesn't look or handle differently just because there is a different blade in it. So there is not much to be learned. It's still beautiful and the head is still too wide for my taste.
Surprisingly the KAI blade is at least as sharp as the Feather Pro and certainly not smoother. If anything I get more blade feel from it. I'll see how the blade develops during the next shave.
There is no arguing with the result of the shave. Smooth all over, no cleanup required anywhere. Every time. The alum block and ASL gave a little more sting than after the first two shaves with the Feather Pro blade.
The Asylum RX handles nicely. Unlike @Darkbulb I have no issue with the length of the handle or with clogging, despite using Tabac soap.
So far I prefer the Feather Pro blade, but I remember that it only lasts for about three shaves for me, making it a rather costly option. I'll give the Kai Captain Titan Mild another chance tomorrow and then use one of the guarded blades, before passing the razor on.
TBC...

Last edited:

sɐǝɹpu∀

riverrun
I'm liking the Kai Captain in the Hawk @sɐǝɹpu∀
I'm finding it smoother than the Feather Pro, but equally sharp - very sharp!
The are very sharp indeed. No question about that. They didn't feel smoother to my face though. Could be for all sorts of reasons. Lather for example (except I was using the same soap and brush). Who knows? That's why I'm giving them a second go tomorrow.

sɐǝɹpu∀

riverrun
Shave #4
  • Truefitt&Hill No.10 shaving cream
  • ↪Mühle 35K256 25mm synthetic brush
  • Asylum RX
  • KAI Captain Titan Mild (2)
  • Alum block
  • Tüff herb ASL
  • Truefitt&Hill No.10 sensitive moisturiser
Today sees a change in software. Truefitt&Hill shaving cream is a great performer for me. I managed to get a tub for £4 in a Waitrose 'reduced to clear' bin. In a branch that doesn't sell the stuff. I smeared some on my face and face lathered with the big Mühle synthetic. The amount of slick lather produced would have been enough for two shaves easily.
I'm using the same 'KAI Captain Titan Mild' blade as yesterday.
The blade seems a little bit smoother than yesterday. Is it the blade? Is it the lather? No idea.
I insist on my pass around four pass routine WTG/XTG/GTX/ATG. However, after three passes the Asylum RX achieves a smoothness that other razors can't achieve without the ATG pass. So if you're not mad like me and want BBS every time and if you want to avoid shaving ATG, the Asylum is a very good choice.
In summary, I had a very easy, very smooth and very close shave without any accidents or irritation. Alum block and ASL have little to say today. Great result.
I still find the head to wide, especially when shaving under the nose. If the Feather AC blades were the width of an injector blade, everyone would be making reasonably sized SE razors.
Tomorrow I'll use one of the guarded blades, probably the ProGuard.
TBC...

Last edited:

sɐǝɹpu∀

riverrun
Shave #5
I need a Speick day today. I love all their products. Lovely scent and stellar performance.
The blade today is the Feather ProGuard. I had a terrible experience with this blade in the Alumigoose, but in the Asylum it shines. Far from being aggressive, it's smooth and efficient. It doesn't feel as sharp and direct as the Feather Pro and the KAI Titan Mild, but it was very efficient. And smooth. Very smooth. After four passes the shave is as close as those with the other blades. Not much sting from the alum, but the ASL stings a little bit more. Probably because the Speick ASL contains more alcohol than the Tüff I used for the previous shaves.
A very enjoyable shave, if only the head... yes.. I keep going on about it... it's too wide.
It would be a terrible waste not to give the ProGuard blade a second outing, so that's what I'll do tomorrow. Then it's 'goodbye' for the Asylum and time for my final verdict.
TBC...

Last edited: