Asylum RX selling NOW

Nishy

Forum GOD!
Staff member
I...just..spent $300+ on a BBS-1 razor (had to pay CA state tax...). That is - if you think about it - ridiculous. :)
Yep I guess as with anything in life it depends on your balance. What you can afford compared to what you need. If i'm being honest I would have put down the cash for a BBS-1 love it and probably use it for a month of the year. But still love it. Always a hard one, spending a few hundred on something as trivial as shaving. Or as trivial as it's made out to be.

Darkbulb

Member #10
Yep I guess as with anything in life it depends on your balance. What you can afford compared to what you need. If i'm being honest I would have put down the cash for a BBS-1 love it and probably use it for a month of the year. But still love it. Always a hard one, spending a few hundred on something as trivial as shaving. Or as trivial as it's made out to be.
Well as long as I can keep a roof over my head, eat well and not have it impact 'real life' it's all good in the end.
As you say, we only live once.

Actually, to make [me] feel a bit better about razor expenses I had a conversation with a buddy the other week about hobbies and how much they cost.

He said that he spends thousands of dollars a year renting and flying planes and love it - but in the end he has nothing but memories of the fun.
He asked me if I would consider shaving gear a 'hobby' and I agreed that it probably is a bit and it is great fun to try new stuff.
His next question was how much I'd loose if I sold all I had bought over the years and my answer was that I'd probably net a small profit - or break even - if I sold it at all.
His reply was that that is an enviable hobby to be in :)

Nishy

Forum GOD!
Staff member
Well as long as I can keep a roof over my head, eat well and not have it impact 'real life' it's all good in the end.
As you say, we only live once.

Actually, to make [me] feel a bit better about razor expenses I had a conversation with a buddy the other week about hobbies and how much they cost.

He said that he spends thousands of dollars a year renting and flying planes and love it - but in the end he has nothing but memories of the fun.
He asked me if I would consider shaving gear a 'hobby' and I agreed that it probably is a bit and it is great fun to try new stuff.
His next question was how much I'd loose if I sold all I had bought over the years and my answer was that I'd probably net a small profit - or break even - if I sold it at all.
His reply was that that is an enviable hobby to be in :)
Nice analysis, quick question, which is the one razor you have used the most through your lifetime?

Darkbulb

Member #10
All of which I don't have. . . . Great! :)
How do you find the KC differs from the Asylum ?
"Bigger" :)

As you can see there's quite the size difference using the stock handles;

The stock handle is great but I find myself using the Hempel Ti handle more;

I'd say the KC is a tad more aggressive than the Asylum. I also prefer the simplicity in the blade loading.
Neither razor is without finish flaws though and I do think they are both priced too high.
If I could only keep one...it would be the KC :)

Oh and pretty sure you can pick up a Wilkinson Protector for 3-4 quid :wink:

sɐǝɹpu∀

riverrun
Hm, probably these three;
- King Cobra,
- Wilkinson Protector, and
- Tradere OC
I still can't believe I chucked a gorgeous red Wilkinson Protector in the bin, when I started DE shaving.:facepalm: It has since been replaced with a blue one, but the red one looked much better. A tragic loss. :cry:
A warning to new DE shavers: Do not throw away your cartridge razors. They are better than you think. It's not the razor that's the problem, it's the prep and your technique... If you need to dispose of your cartridge razors, clean them thoroughly and send them to me (together with any unused blades you have left). :D:D

Darkbulb

Member #10
I still can't believe I chucked a gorgeous red Wilkinson Protector in the bin, when I started DE shaving.:facepalm: It has since been replaced with a blue one, but the red one looked much better. A tragic loss. :cry:
A warning to new DE shavers: Do not throw away your cartridge razors. They are better than you think. It's not the razor that's the problem, it's the prep and your technique... If you need to dispose of your cartridge razors, clean them thoroughly and send them to me (together with any unused blades you have left). :D:D
I used a gold plated Gillette Sensor Excel this morning :)
Great shave.

Also, you need to get the German all "Metal" Protector.

sɐǝɹpu∀

riverrun
I used a gold plated Gillette Sensor Excel this morning :)
Great shave.

Also, you need to get the German all "Metal" Protector.
Problem is - I only need one Protector. Strange concept... I know...
I will pick up a gold Wilkinson Kompakt though if I find one for peanuts at a car boot sale... :D

Darkbulb

Member #10
Is it just me or does the Asylum always "deformed"? The knurling in the centre of the handle looks skewed, the head looks lop-sided? The other razors look perfect :scratchhead:
Ha, I see what you mean and you actually had me pull the razor out to take a close look at it.
Luckily, for me, it turns out that the knurling and head is perfectly even and straight. Not sure why it looks like that in the photo.
I blame Apple.
I think what we're seeing is a slim silver reflection in the handle (just above where the knurling starts) - giving the impression the knurling is off.

Acer89

James
Is it just me or does the Asylum always "deformed"? The knurling in the centre of the handle looks skewed, the head looks lop-sided? The other razors look perfect :scratchhead:
Ok ... its late and I've had a few beers but yes you're correct. To my eyes the Asylum does look wonky and skewed.