1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Any thoughts on this new cartridge system..

Discussion in 'Cartridge Safety Razors (CR)' started by Mr Bigmem, Aug 16, 2016.

1. Mr Bigmem

Mr Bigmem Senior Member

So sitting at my desk I get a notification from HotUKdeals for £1 off A unique and flexible 4 blade razor. So off I tumble down another rabbit hold to see what I thought was going to be another bog standard pace or chinese knock off rubbish mail order razor set up.

Ok so i'm a little interested by what I see.
    https://www.boldking.com
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG] [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    Premise is a cool flexible blade to contour your face and aide in shave yarder yarder yarder have a look for ya selves lol.

Ok then alarm bells went off after seeing some of the images i've posted here and after some googling it came to me.
    So for a while when dabbling in only cartridge systems I started looking at what there was in the world of cartridges in Japan and the US etc. And one of the razor systems that had taken my fancy but i'd not got round to trying was the defender razor from the US. Its main selling point was when 2 cartridges were clipped to a unquie finger grip handle it was perfect for head shaving at a 180degre coverage. But they also role a standard shaving handel as well take a look. https://defenderrazor.com
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Bingo I do believe they are either the same razor relicenced rebranded for the UK market or Boldking have found a chinese factory to copy the design for them. A lil digging more has shown up that Boldking have done this with other cartridge systems before. And as suspected its a subscription programme you can cancel anytime similar to cornerstone and dollar shave in the US. My question to you all. Specially @Darkbulb @Nico1970 have you seen or tried either the defender or the Boldking? And would you think about it?

So I might just give it a wack for the hell of it. And here's the discount code for the £1
    MTEXNTI0NW ok so the discount is only for buying the started kit.

Last edited: Aug 16, 2016
    Billyfergie likes this.
  2. Nico1970

Nico1970 Über Member Staff Member

@Mr Bigmem - I haven't seen (or tried) either the Defender or the Boldking before. But, the above concept certainly looks interesting...

Are you going to take one for the team? :okay:

Billyfergie likes this.
  3. Mr Bigmem

Mr Bigmem Senior Member

Just think I might have to lol .....so lets see where this goes lol:o_o:

4. Redd

Redd A Right Member

The whole flexible head thing, sort of implies the user having to apply a certain amount of pressure. Which could be fun.

As for the cock-ring..... @Billyfergie Over to you fella !?!

5. Mr Bigmem

Mr Bigmem Senior Member

I'm thinking if its really flexible it might just work with the basic weight of shaving or no different than any of the floating blade cartridges like the sensor range. I'll wait to see

:eek: What?......lol

6. Darkbulb

Darkbulb Member #10

I haven't tried one myself but I believe @mantic59 did some time ago

Mr Bigmem likes this.
  7. Mr Bigmem

Mr Bigmem Senior Member

Ok @Nico1970 i've done the deed lol ordered the starter kit and got £1 off so total of £11 i'm getting 4 blades, the handle, aftershave cream and a suction holder for the handle delivered for free. I could have gone with just £6 for just the handle and one blade but thought hey what the hell if its really not for me can always do a PIF. If any of you do use the code MTEXNTI0NW be aware its only for the starter kit. And you can choose to turn off the subscription from the get go and the price doesn't go up.

Could it be any good? Will let you all know

Nico1970 likes this.
  8. Gairdner

Gairdner Über Member

Now, that's a cock-ring with attitude - 6 blade attitude! :eek:

9. Nico1970

Nico1970 Über Member Staff Member

@Mr Bigmem - did you ever get to try these cartridges? Cheers... :)

Billyfergie likes this.
  10. Mr Bigmem

Mr Bigmem Senior Member

They appear to being shipped from Switzerland lol. Company is based in Holland and they have a warehouse operation. So it's on its way I'm guessing tomorrow or Monday. So I should have a nice 3 days growth if I hold back from trying my vanilla Faena soap I just got.... Oh the agony of waiting.

11. Mr Bigmem

Mr Bigmem Senior Member

Drum roll lol the razor arrived I couldn't wait to take pics and just opened it lol but who cares about an unboxing lol. Ok so i'll be trying it out in the morning for a bank holiday SOD to see how this all ends lol I will stick to known and trusted pre shave routine and oil followed buy my trusted 1912 soap and see how we really find each other.

Darkbulb and Billyfergie like this.
  12. Mr Bigmem

Mr Bigmem Senior Member

So I received the razor within a week, it was shipped from Boldkings warehouse in switzerland. They are based in Holland but seem to have a few european hubs for shipping. It arrived well packaged in bog standard brown outer cardboard box and when opened I was presented with a nice looking inner product box. Below I've used images from the net as I didn't take actual pics on the opening and have thrown away the packaging. My box was identical to the pics here. On opening the product box I was presented with a rubber red sticker with the Boldking logo holding tissue paper together over the contents of the box. Which did actually look cool almost wax seal type.
    [​IMG]
    Inside the box I have 4 blades in their holder, the razor handle, an aftershave cream, a suction holder for the handle and some tips and product info.

I jumped right in and loaded my first blade onto the handle and I have to say it felt rather nice in the hand. The handle is well designed good rubber grip though out, it a good balance along the whole razor, I moved it around my hand getting a feel of the angles, the cutouts and curves do well to allow different grips that I tend to use at different parts of my shave. Not to sure on how strong the blade locking mechanism will be at this point. The blade locates into the handle at the front face as opposed to on top the handle as in most cartridge razors i've tried. There is a thin bit on the blade head that fits into a lil slit in the handle where it clips in.
    [​IMG]
    But that being said as the clip part is actually on the blade head and not on handle as most cartridge razors. If it fails or breaks you change the blade and not the handle so that is a good thing as i've had many a time looking for after market handles to replace my broken ones. So everything else in the box really read. I have to add the suction pad handle holder is a nice touch and for me not just a rubbish gift.
    [​IMG]

Ok so my thoughts after using the razor for 2 shaves so far.

First shave...
    I did my usual pre shave routine. A shower and i'd put some hot water on top of my 1912 palma violet for a little blooming. Hot water soak for my satin tip brush. After shower used some Wilko shave oil as a pre shave and did my usual steel cup lather which is then placed into/on top of a mug with hot water in it. It's almost like a bain marie or a diy scuttle, I got the idea from a turkish barber. Anyway I digress lol.
    Full 3 pass shave WTG, XTG and ATG the handling was as expected good. I got audible sound on stokes from the blades on my hairs which surprised for a modern cartridge. I have to admit to liking that sound telling me I was cutting lol. There is nice bit of space between each blade which makes for easy cleaning between passes making it non clog, during the first pass I felt what I thought was pulling and didn't over do pressure as I was scared of irritation and so I was only ultimately blessed with DFS. However with only a few ruff spots in the usual hard to reach places. But ultimately actually happy to find I had no weepers and no cuts, alum block gave no real sting. I have to say this was a different shave, very good in getting up close to the lines on my chin strap beard. As the first blade is right at the top of cartridge head it is very precise, if you know the Wilkinson sword hydro 5 the way the moisture bar flips back to give you a clean top. Well just imagine no moisture bar to get in the way all the time. I found it is very nimble in how it moves around my face mostly due to the head and the handle combo. It wasn't as shape as I had hoped but not to sure if that was just me, but i can say did enjoy this shave. I can't say that for all razor's i've tried in the past many DE's included.
    So I sat and had a think and I wanted to see if this was just a poor razor, mostly due to my thought the blades are not as sharp as the pro glide which i'm used to or that it was my first shave and it had a learning curve. I was thinking I might have also been over cautious with the new blade and not allowed it to really shave me. It's very difficult to gauge a light cartridge razor and this is far lighter than mac3 or pro glide and i feel needed to have applied a little more pressure as the weight would hardly be doing the cutting for me. So I may be wrong but I think i have worked out where I went wrong. As the cartridge head flex's across each blade and pivots from the centre. Not like my mac3 or pro glide as they pivot from the bottom of the cartridge head. And its different from my sensor as the flex replaces the sprung blades. I didn't adjust or adapt I thought hey it's a cartridge run it around your face no angles needed and don't apply pressure we don't want a sore face now. So I felt I owe it to the razor to see if I can learn another way to shave better suited to it. I wanted to make use of the razors function and form and movement. So two days later shave 2 ... to be continued lol. I will update with my second shave and my finally thoughts and pros and cons later. Or I might do. Couple more shaves give it a fair shot....but this tail does have a twist

Darkbulb and Billyfergie like this.
  13. Billyfergie

Billyfergie Veteran

[​IMG]
    Yeah..Defo Somthin Freddy Mercury Like about that Design..:hyper:

Billy

Redd likes this.
  14. Darkbulb

Darkbulb Member #10

Great write up

Mr Bigmem likes this.
  15. Mr Bigmem

Mr Bigmem Senior Member

Thanks, it's hard to try and explain everything and just keep forgetting to highlight my thoughts so had to be a two parter lol

Last edited: Sep 1, 2016