Any slant fans in the house?

efsk

Forum GOD!
I partially agree with rigidity, however have a couple of slants where the blade is not rigid at all. Most notable a KWC, which is an East-German Fasan-clone, which sacrifices rigidity to blade-exposure. End-result being that the blade can bend and flex way more than in an ordinary DE. Also, I'm with @Wayne and @Lord Fatboy in that the diagonals can outperform the torqued slants.

The shared attribute seems to be the diagonal cutting edge, which imho is what makes (can make, actually) these razors so efficient. This efficiency however adds to aggression (in the sense of propensity to bite), which is why I have to be more careful shaving with diagonals than with torqued slants. Therefore, I'm of a growing conviction that the efficiency of the slant is caused by the diagonal cutting angle, and that the added rigidity caused by torquing the blade decreases the added aggression.

Lord Fatboy

Forgo Mud !
I partially agree with rigidity, however have a couple of slants where the blade is not rigid at all. Most notable a KWC, which is an East-German Fasan-clone, which sacrifices rigidity to blade-exposure. End-result being that the blade can bend and flex way more than in an ordinary DE. Also, I'm with @Wayne and @Lord Fatboy in that the diagonals can outperform the torqued slants.

The shared attribute seems to be the diagonal cutting edge, which imho is what makes (can make, actually) these razors so efficient. This efficiency however adds to aggression (in the sense of propensity to bite), which is why I have to be more careful shaving with diagonals than with torqued slants. Therefore, I'm of a growing conviction that the efficiency of the slant is caused by the diagonal cutting angle, and that the added rigidity caused by torquing the blade decreases the added aggression.
The article I posted makes a big noise about rigidity, but I think you are right. In the Neo blades flap about like mad.

The diagonals just don't "miss" anything. If the first pass the head is "left-to-right" and the next pass "right-to-left", then the criss-crossing effect seems to make the difference. I wouldn't be surprised if this were in the original instructions of the Neo. A torquing slant can also work better with this practice. The diagonal seems to work best at a lesser than 30degree angle in my experience.

Almost every three piece razor I have, I have used as a diagonal, with a small device (the "Thomson's Tilter"). While some have performed better than others I have yet to try a slant model made diagonal. The only slant I now have is the Fine ABS, so maybe I'll try that (though I would like to try the PAA Fasan type).

Lord Fatboy

Forgo Mud !
Anyone tried the Maggard slant head..? I'm kindof annoyed I missed out on the Razorock 37c copy. I wonder - Was it a copy of the older 37c or the newer one?

efsk

Forum GOD!
The diagonals just don't "miss" anything. If the first pass the head is "left-to-right" and the next pass "right-to-left", then the criss-crossing effect seems to make the difference. I wouldn't be surprised if this were in the original instructions of the Neo.
You are correct, see point 2:

Anyone tried the Maggard slant head..? I'm kindof annoyed I missed out on the Razorock 37c copy. I wonder - Was it a copy of the older 37c or the newer one?
The Razorock 37 is still available for under $20, so if you like to try one go get it :) The Maggard I really like. It is a variation on the original iKon slant, in that both are based upon the Mulcuto Needlepoint, a terrific razor. The Maggard is a fun little head, be it on the aggressive side (as was the Mulcuto). If you aren't scared of an aggressive razor, the Maggard will give you a very enjoyable shave.

Grarea

Forum Plod
Twin injector blades are just two injector blades, one on top of the other. They are exactly twice as thick as regular injector blades.
Oh what?
I thought i was right on that part of my theory.
They just slice through a section that no other blade has so far.
Then they are not as good the next time. I just thought that added up to them being thinner blades.

Grarea

Forum Plod
Yep I can relate a lot to this. I like the ATT SE2 but with a milder SE blade. The Asylum is good with a Feather Pro, but I find this blade very short lived. The only slant I now own is the ATT S2. Decent shaver, definitely does just mow the stubble down but not to a major level of difference, when compared to other DE razors. DE blades being the cheapest and given that I throw the blade after each use, put me on the path to find those DE razors which provide a stiff blade feel, similar to a straight. So obviously they can't replicate a straight, but so far, a few stainless razors have triumphed for me. In order to still provide a good level of aggression, I prefer the OC option with greater blade presence. So far the Wolfman OC (0.74mm) has been the closest. I would certainly consider the ATT SE2 over a slant though.
Cheers for that.
Interesting thought. Shame they aren't a tenner though.

matteob

I can't really comment as not much experience. I have a 37C though and it gives me a nice close yet gentle shave. I would be interested to try the older German slants. There is a chap in Canada that has designed a 3D printed slant that you fasten with a screw and wingnut that has been getting some good feedback. I will try to find the link :)

efsk

Forum GOD!
I can't really comment as not much experience. I have a 37C though and it gives me a nice close yet gentle shave. I would be interested to try the older German slants. There is a chap in Canada that has designed a 3D printed slant that you fasten with a screw and wingnut that has been getting some good feedback. I will try to find the link :)
Here it is. Iǘe all three slant-modelstwo of which are real nice shavers, and one, the Kraken, is a bit too harsh for my liking. The only thing preventing these from being seriously good razors is the fidgety way you have to assemble them. Once there's a way to assemble these without the need for screws and wingnuts they're going to be mighty popular.

Batmanacci

Forum GOD!
I only exclusively use Slants now. My 2 current favorites are a vintage German white bakelite slant and the V1 razorock stealth slant

Acer89

James
iKon X3 and ATT S2 user here. I like them both. I did own a iKon B1 but found that too aggressive for daily shaving.

wintoid

Out of control
I've got a few. Hoffritz, Ikon B1, Razorock Stealth, ATT S1. Didn't really get on with the ATT S2, and don't really like the Ikon B1 either, but the others have been great.

Really wanting a Wunderbar now.

Batmanacci

Forum GOD!
I've got a few. Hoffritz, Ikon B1, Razorock Stealth, ATT S1. Didn't really get on with the ATT S2, and don't really like the Ikon B1 either, but the others have been great.

Really wanting a Wunderbar now.
I had the Wunderbar and sold it. Wonderfully made, just not for me