1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Any Excel wizards?

Discussion in 'ATG Cafe' started by wazza, Dec 14, 2016.

1. wazza

wazza a dog got personality

Hi

I need to plot a hysteresis loop on Excel. Normally I'd draw it out but it has to be in Excel apparently.
    These are my figures just to show what I'm after.
    Cant find anything online that helps.
    IMG_9856.JPG

2. chrisbd

chrisbd Forum GOD!

Wazza,
    I'm no expert by any means and it's been a long time since I've had to plot graphs in Excel. I don't know what version you're using but this looks useful:

View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oZAZj7NIkic

Regards,
    Chris

wazza likes this.
  3. wazza

Appreciate that @chrisbd
    Not quite what Im looking for, the data has to loop back on itself. Cant get my head around it though.

4. chrisbd

chrisbd Forum GOD!

Sorry @wazza, been a little distracted lately, family emergency, Christmas, advancing senility, etc.

I don't know whether you found a solution in the meantime but, as you've found, internet sources are surprisingly thin. I'm not sure whether you're au fait with VBA scripts and subroutines (I'm not) but this looks to be the most useful guidance I've found so far, it may be of some use if you are:

http://www.mrexcel.com/forum/excel-questions/449934-how-create-function-sub-handle-hysteresis.html

Apologies if that's a bum steer, from what I've seen so far Excel doesn't seem to be the ideal tool for hysteresis (hysteretic?) graph plots, although you apparently need the Analysis Toolpak add-in installed, if using Excel 2010 and above (see MS support article below). Hope this helps.

https://support.microsoft.com/en-gb/kb/214269

Regards,
    Chris

wazza likes this.
  5. wazza

Hi
    No worries at all. Hope everything is settling and getting back to normal for you.
    With the graph it just didnt happen. Im not excel or computer savvy. I bodged it together but Im just going to draw it out, the tutor wanted it done digitally for some reason but ah well.

Thank you for supplying the links, will have a read later. Didnt realise it could be done by add ons to excel.

Cheers again.

6. chrisbd

chrisbd Forum GOD!

All good now, thanks.

I used to use Excel a lot at work, with some basic functions and scripts, until I changed roles a few years ago. I've become very rusty since.

We're only on Excel 2007 at home, but I'll see if I can get it working.

Hope it works out for you, would have been helpful if your tutor had given you some pointers.

Regards,
    Chris

Last edited: Jan 2, 2017
    wazza likes this.
  7. wazza

Cheers Chris, glad all is well now.

No worries about trying yourself, dont want to take more of your time up but really appreciate your help.

8. chrisbd

chrisbd Forum GOD!

Frankly, I'm a little surprised no-one else has picked up on this so far. I'm far from an expert and have got rusty.

Thanks but I've had a try with your data, to challenge my increasingly flabby grey matter. Don't bother about the Histogram add-in this time as that only produces a simple bar chart (hence the name), waste of time. The other link I gave you is for calculating values, not plotting known ones. Sorry, I've been wasting your time with these.

I can't find any other information so far regarding plotting hysteresis curves in Excel and there's nothing obvious in the MS add-in tools, so perhaps it's not the ideal program. I didn't manage to plot all the data, since I think both sets of AC & DC Voltage values need to appear on your X axis and I haven't found a way to do that while keeping a common Y axis. Nor could I see how Excel would plot a "Minimum Value" entry, it returns a "non-numerical value" error and won't allow you to continue.

However, I did manage to plot "Idc in mA" against "Vac in Volts" but the curves sit so closely together as to effectively overlay each other and the plot virtually looks like a single line.

Shame your tutor didn't give you some guidance as to what software to use or how to do this. Although not ideal I think perhaps your proposed approach of hand drawing the graph is best, then see how he would have done it. How soon do you to submit this? I could try to help you plot "Idc in mA/Vac in Volts", if that would be of some use. I'd attach the Excel file but can't see a way to do that.

Regards,
    Chris

Rowlers and wazza like this.
  9. wazza

Thanks for going so indepth, more than my tutor.
    I'm no good with excel other than simple stuff, so this had me truely stumped.
    You have far from wasted my time, you've helped out a ton.
    Its due on the 10th of January, so I've been doing the rest of the report and revison as I have two exams that same week.
    I did 'bodge' it together to kind of form a loop but it doesnt look correct.
    Thank you for your help again. From what you've said it looks like another software then. Hand drawn it is.

10. chrisbd

chrisbd Forum GOD!

No problem, I was grateful for the challenge. I've missed this kind of exercise since I retired, sorry I couldn't give you a definitive answer.

I could help you plot the data but it would only use two of the columns, not all three. And as I warned, the curves align so closely as to virtually overlap and looking at the values that should certainly be the case, unless the scales were to be vastly exaggerated. Maybe that's what you tutor wants you to prove to yourselves.

What version of Excel are you using?

Regards,
    Chris