1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

2017 soap intentions

Discussion in 'Shaving Soaps' started by Wayne, Dec 14, 2016.

1. DamianJ

DamianJ Senior Member

I had a sample this year of soap commander and caties bubbles... I might investigate getting full tubs at some point this year, although I do like to try keep the number of soaps I have down so they all get a good use in rotation.

Wayne likes this.
  2. Burgundy

Burgundy Über Member

No strategy. I've really enjoyed sampling a range of soaps in 2016. My favourite has been Wickham 1912 with JabonMan and Martin de Candre being right up there. I'll probably try a few more from the aforementioned, give Phoenix & Beau another chance, and sample anything else that sounds particularly interesting. I could do with slowing down the acquisition rate and trading off whatever hasn't quite made the grade or irritates my skin.

Last edited: Dec 23, 2016
    Wayne likes this.
  3. p.b

p.b Veteran

My intention is to use / sell twice as much as I buy. I have about 30 soaps right now. I will end 2017 with 20-22.

bandito, Rowlers, Wayne and 3 others like this.
  4. celestino

celestino Veteran

To stop trying any new soaps, and to, finally, stop buying more! :blush:

R181, Nishy, Wayne and 1 other person like this.
  5. Optometrist

Optometrist Über Member

Now that my prayers have been answered and Manuel is making tallow soaps, to restrict myself to JabonMan only. Hopefully.:o_o:

6. Nishy

Nishy Guru Staff Member

Definitely narrowed down my preferences. The other day I was considering exactly what improvement I have made with regards to cost(relative), when considering shaving. Everything has come along well. I have over spent on a couple of things, which I put down to experience. With regards to soaps. I want to chisel down to P&B, MdC, Mike's and Jabonman. My issues are good soaps with excellent scents. For me that's something like SV MdS.

One year I will solely use MdC. I have been hooked to the vetiver its outstanding.

Pablo509, Blackmass, Rowlers and 3 others like this.
  7. ManicDee

ManicDee Senior Member

I have been trying several samples from http://shavedash.com/products/
    Some are Hard soaps such as Saponificio Varesino "Manna di Sicilia & Tundra Artica " as well as Valobra "Fougere"
    But also Softer soaps such as Wickham "Irish Fern" Gourgous scent.
    I even found a few from Australia which are as good as those above.

bandito and Blackmass like this.
  8. Rowlers

Rowlers Massive Member Staff Member

I plan to use up what I've got! I will buy the odd one or two and probably try a few from shavedash just for fun. But I have far too many already..

Dipesh, bandito and DamianJ like this.
  9. Shaver X

Shaver X Regular Member

I am going to buy a couple of UK artisan soaps, a couple of US artisan soaps, and Van Der Hagen Scented Luxury soap. I will get unknown on the forums artisan soaps that look like they have some potential, just to check them out. The Van Der Hagen is sold in pretty much every supermarket and drugstore near me. Then I will decide which out of all the shaving soaps I have used over the years will become my staple. If none of the soaps purchased in 2017 work out, then I will order some Mitchell's Wool Fat, the best I have used to date. Purchased from Connaught Shaving, the total purchase + shipping cost to the west coast of the US is less than for many US made shaving soaps.

bandito and Rowlers like this.
  10. Holyzeus

Holyzeus Über Member

I've got MdC on the way and fancy Kasbah but otherwise I'm going to get rid of loads I don't use

Shaver X and bandito like this.
  11. R181

R181 Veteran

No real intentions of buying more but we will see. There might even be a culling of the herd down the road a bit too.

Bob

bandito likes this.
  12. pjgh

pjgh Veteran

Martin de Candre Rose
    Wickham's 1912 ... new scents

... and to tip out all those I just don't use. Streamline. Consolidate the lines.

Rowlers likes this.
  13. Rowlers

Rowlers Massive Member Staff Member

I am going to do just that this afternoon. Open the box, see what is there and PIF or sell what I don't use.

14. Cheesepiece

Cheesepiece Gold Member

Same as above but i'm getting rid of all hard soap - I don't need it and I don't enjoy using it. Exception being MdC which I might try again (one of the LE scents, probably Rose).
    And the creams and croaps I have will be used up, not in a year, but until they're all gone I won't be adding any more bar the one exception (Wickham 1912 LE).

15. Grarea

Grarea Well-Known Member

I have recently done this myself.
    Although my life is made easier as I discovered a lot of scented soaps sting me slightly.
    I also find that when i find one not as good as the other, I just don't get the other one back out.
    I am left with MWF, DR Harris, P&B, Vitos Super, & Valobra.
    I am finding myself using one more than the others so I need to make direct comparisons and see where I sit with them.

Then I will use up the remainder and then look into any others that might suit. I see a few names keep cropping up that I would like to try.

I have tried quite a few soaps now over the last 18 months and have really enjoyed trying them.
    I have learned a lot.

I might revisit Wickhams as there is an unscented I believe.
    MdC for example.
    I shall be perusing the 'top 5 soaps' thread that was made in more detail.

bandito likes this.