1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

2017 soap intentions

Discussion in 'Shaving Soaps' started by Wayne, Dec 14, 2016.

1. Wayne

Wayne Shave gear addict.

After a buying spree that saw me buying at least 4 soaps a month last year I intend to just have the very best I can find in my den in 2017. I'll keep a few OSP soaps, a couple of 1912's, my Stirlings and my SV's the rest are going. I'd like to supplement these with a couple of Jabonmann's and if I can get it some CRSW. The rest I'll probably PIF. I'm thinking quality over quantity and that will go for my razors too.

captain_hx, OJ82, Billyfergie and 7 others like this.
  2. I have pretty much gone for that Wayne..just a few soaps I really like ..DR Harris, Haslinger, Valobra, MdC...possibly a few more Artisan offerings..might look out for your PIF though matie:thumbsup:

3. Wayne

Wayne Shave gear addict.

You will be most welcome to put your name down and good luck.

Billyfergie and Shaverrific666 like this.
  4. Mr Bigmem

Mr Bigmem Guru

Wow the 4 soaps a month is where I feel my self heading. I think if it weren't for shave dash keeping my habit in check i'd have brought 8 soaps in as many weeks. problem we have as wet shavers is no bricks and mortar stores to walk in and sniff and try the testers. i'd more than likely buy more soaps in the long run but there would be less of a chance of the many blind buy mistakes i've made.

Come the new year I think i'll be doing a PIF on the creams i've ended up picking up non stop lol

Blackmass, SeanC and Shaverrific666 like this.
  5. Top man Wayne...I might like to trade with you at some point if I ever have anything you fancy...cheers!

6. Wayne

Wayne Shave gear addict.

Great idea. Thanks.

Shaverrific666 likes this.
  7. Sid James

Sid James ...

AdP Cream and Soft Cream, PannaCrema Nuavia and P&B Spitfire are all staying and will pretty much be all I use, same as now. The P&B ATG LE will be scent dependant and Jabonman ATG LE will be my first Jabonman so can't really comment on that.

SeanC and Wayne like this.
  8. Nick_S

Nick_S Atypical Audi Driver

More. That is my intention :D

More Phoenix & Beau
    More OSP
    More Wickham
    More NSS

That should do it :)

9. DamianJ

DamianJ Guru

I think 1912 will stay in the collection in one scent or another permanently. Looking forward to seeing what new scents Phoenix and Beau come up with.

Sounds like there's going to be some nice pifs in the new year!

SeanC and Wayne like this.
  10. DamianJ

DamianJ Guru

Oh and I'm hoping to try OSP cream next year too.

Wayne and Burry like this.
  11. SeanC

SeanC Legendary Member

I rationalised earlier this year, so what's left is either proven performers from my own experience such as Haslinger or highly recommended by others awaiting my own testing such as the puck of Mike's Lily Of The Valley I christened today. Acquisitions will be probably be one per month and very highly selective.

As an aside, I hit the sweet spot on the Mike's first time of asking. A wonderful shave!

Matsilainen likes this.
  12. wazza

wazza a dog got personality

I'd still like to try the classics such as Dr Harris etc
    But the one Im deffinately planning on picking up is OSP Sandalwood.

Mr Bigmem likes this.
  13. Redd

Redd A Right Member

It is my intention to use more than I buy. Pretty much all I have on my radar is MdC, I'm not going down the LE route this year

14. Len

Len Guru

The only soap I look to buy in 2017 is JabonMan, perhaps a few selections, as it is one of the only highly regarded soaps I've yet to try.

Other than that, I'm content with what I own, and will keep a steady rotation of Nuàvia (all 3), SdM, C&S O&C (Valobra), B&M, P&B, and occasionally MdC.

I have many others that will see infrequent use as a change of pace, and will eventually decide which of these I'll sell off or PIF, but those are most likely done for the long term. If JabonMan can live up to, or exceed the others mentioned above, I'll add it to my rotation and consider my soap acquisition complete and finished, except for needing to occasionally refill the soaps mentioned.

My SAD (soap acquisition disorder) is just about over, thankfully. The process, for me, was never about accumulation (quantity), but about discovering quality. I've found the best, so now its just about time to discard and forget the rest...

Last edited: Dec 15, 2016
  15. bandito

bandito Ex-Addict

I've just splashed out on a few soaps, but i'm still experimenting with lavender soaps with a view to buying one. Other than that, Fitjar, Wickhams, Soap Commander and a few others (10 max) are on my radar, depending on how I like the samples

Blackmass, Wayne and Shaverrific666 like this.