1st shave with 1912

Wayne

Forum Sod
Thanks to Lord Fatboy's generosity I am now the proud owner of a really nice ER 1912 razor. He was also good enough to include some blades for it. I'd also like to thank @Grarea for also offering to loan me one. It is much appreciated and also very kind.
Me being me I could not wait so I rushed upstairs after work into the shower while the brush soaked. Loading is a doddle which puts the new Rocnel offering to shame according to recent reports. I always had the impression it would be unwieldy and cumbersome and I owe the razor an apology it isn't as large as I imagined. I soaped up and got to it. First pass was good, nice and close. I made sure I kept the cap against the skin. It glided nicely.
Second pass was just as good but I think I was little more heavy handed on the second pass. I am really smooth but have just a touch of razor burn on my neck. Nothing major and similar to when I used the Personna Injector blades in a Schick. I think these blades are Personna too. I'll check but if so it may seem I don't get on with Personna. I know the Chicks were a lot smoother in the Schick. All in all it was a great shave. I'll try it again and make sure I use the absolute minimal pressure next time. If I still get a little burn like this time I'll try some different blades.

Rowlers

Massive Member
Staff member
Thanks to Lord Fatboy's generosity I am now the proud owner of a really nice ER 1912 razor. He was also good enough to include some blades for it. I'd also like to thank @Grarea for also offering to loan me one. It is much appreciated and also very kind.
Me being me I could not wait so I rushed upstairs afteBer work into the shower while the brush soaked. Loading is a doddle which puts the new Rocnel offering to shame according to recent reports. I always had the impression it would be unwieldy and cumbersome and I owe the razor an apology it isn't as large as I imagined. I soaped up and got to it. First pass was good, nice and close. I made sure I kept the cap against the skin. It glided nicely.
Second pass was just as good but I think I was little more heavy handed on the second pass. I am really smooth but have just a touch of razor burn on my neck. Nothing major and similar to when I used the Personna Injector blades in a Schick. I think these blades are Personna too. I'll check but if so it may seem I don't get on with Personna. I know the Chicks were a lot smoother in the Schick. All in all it was a great shave. I'll try it again and make sure I use the absolute minimal pressure next time. If I still get a little burn like this time I'll try some different blades.
Nice to hear your thoughts @Wayne.. I think I need to revisit the 1912 as, from memory, I found the shave just OK. I think I'd like to they the OCMM, so will have to hunt around eBay...
Also I don't think there are any other blades that are available, other than the old stropping blades. Maybe others can advise better. @pjgh is a big SE user - any pointers?

pjgh

Forum GOD!
Carbon vs Stainless is a matter of choice. Yes, you can get carbon from the US ... it's those stainless from Connaught's that are more readily available here. They're the ones I use ... as well as a very limited stock of NOS Damaskeene blades which seriously are wonderful to use and just go on and on when stropped.

sɐǝɹpu∀

riverrun
I've just tried some carbon blades from the US (PAL and Treet). They were truly wonderful for the first shave or two, then they went downhill quickly. The third shave already felt like a mistake. Pity, as the first two shaves were really nice.
However... I like the stainless GEM blades just as much when sharp and they last much longer (6-8 shaves for me) and degrade gracefully. Personally, I would not spend more money on carbon blades.
You could try ↪shimming the blade. I feel this makes a difference.

dowsing

Forum GOD!
It's a coincidence that you posted this now Wayne as this has been my fist week trying out an Ever Ready 1912 also. My first time was a three pass and I got a bit shredded. Then about 3 shaves 2 times WTG with not a lot of success. I think that I've been using too much pressure and perhaps too steep an angle as my face has been a bit flaky the following day each time. This is the same mistake I made when first starting out with a DE.

I'll keep practising and think I will try the fergiebilly shim method when the current blade has blunted.

One area I've been having a fair bit of hassle with is the top lip just under the nose. Hairs are often missed with the grain so I've tried going across but this has been giving a lot of razor burn. Does anyone have any suggestions?

R181

Grumpy old man
Yes, the ER 1912 is one of my favourite shavers. Gives a nice smooth, long lasting and close shave. I have used US made carbon steel blades and will not use them again as they do not hold a candle to the Personna GEM PTFE coated stainless steel blade for me. Those GEMs are smoother, last longer and do not rust.

I got them here: http://www.connaughtshaving.com/gemss.html

Bob

Lord Fatboy

Forgo Mud !
Good to hear @Wayne - I meant to say that I included a half spine "Fergie Shim" so you could mess around with the angle, if I forgot to mention that, and you haven't binned it, then that's what that little sliver of aluminium is. The blades are the Personna PTFE stainless ones (I get them from "That Blade Guy" on ebay).
I didn't know you could get new carbon ones, wonder where they're from..?
When I get back from Norway I'll clean up and hone a couple of the original carbon steel blades ("Cru Butch" "Corrux", "Speedway"), the ones with the thick spine, and send them on to you. Carbon steel is kinder to my skin.

jar

Rollin Tumblin
I love my 1912s but did not like the 1924. Today will be a GEM Junior from around 1933 or so.

Dr Watson

James
They are good, I used mine once and promptly sold all my DE's :happy:

Agree on the PAL modern carbon blades, not worth the effort to obtain... I had to quit after one pass it felt so dull however I get 8-10 perfect shaves with GEM PTFE stainless. Shaves are also different between 1912's, USA are smoother than UK and the Damaskeene is smoothest of them all (that said, I actually prefer the UK ones) I'll try and do a photo later to illustrate the slight differences in head geometry.

Dr Watson

James
Okay, photo's aren't great due to the cameraphone source but hopefully you'll be able to notice the difference.

In all pictures the UK Ever-Ready 1912 is on the left and USA GEM Damaskeene 1912 is on the right. The US model has a lower profile finger tab, curved top cap and seats the blade further back (less exposure but larger blade gap?)

Rowlers

Massive Member
Staff member
Wayne ive a few of the little grub screws that let you change handle on the 1912 to a normall de handle .
If youd like a couple pm me your addy.
Do you have a "good" supply of these are know where to buy? I'm fairly certain that @sɐǝɹpu∀ was desperately seeking these out...